PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I have a few questions on current laws for public smoking in CA. From what I'm reading, it seems the only place you can smoke are in your own home, and in your coffin. I'm headed to the Bay Area next week and I'd like to take some pipes along, but if I can't smoke anywhere, I don't see the point. Could could someone from the area PM me with ideas?
Much appreciated.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have a trip to San Francisco coming up in July. I also thought it might be nice to bring along a pipe to smoke when walking around town. I guess I better look into the city regs.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Forget San Francisco...Go to Carmel-By-The Sea....Visit Dick at the Carmel Pipe Shop..Enjoy a pipe at any of the restaurants with an outside patio...

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
OK, aside from smoking in my father's study, where I light up, it's not a smoking-friendly place. I grew up in the Haight-Ashbury, oh, the irony. (I really should order a tin of GLP's Ashbury, even though I like heavier latakia blends.) When I go back to visit Mom, I generally ignore the rule about not being allowed to smoke in parks. I find the Strybing Arboretum and Golden Gate Park a nice place to walk my pipe. It's a really big park; there's room enough for everyone. I really enjoy the irony of no smoking in Buena Vista Park, not far from my folks' house. There is more grass smoked there ... I haven't had an issue smoking legal tobacco in a park. And do visit San Francisco. It's a fabulous city — lots of good food, neighborhoods, parks, museums, etc., despite its misguided liberalism on smoking. And I would be remiss, regarding San Francisco, if i didn't say, "Go Giants!"

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
And the Occidental is still going ... http://www.occidentalcigarclub.com/ I would assume a pipe is fine there.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I live in California, and frequently visit family in SF. I have always smoked my pipe anywhere I want as long as it's outdoors and never had any problems. Truth be told, I smoke my Falcon often inside bars, and everyone assumes it's an e-cig, and never had an issue. Much of the hysteria is just hysteria.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've yet to be hassled by anyone when puffing away in San Francisco. I have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with the City. I don't ask, and they don't tell.
Perhaps some of our brethren from the Land of the Golden Gate can enlighten us.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
If you can rent a car, go 30 minutes north of San Francisco to Telford's Pipe and Cigar in Mill Valley, Marin County. You can smoke all you please inside as Brian Telford owns the building and is the sole tenant.

I was in San Fransisco last summer for two weeks with a pipe constantly in my mouth, everywhere I went. I was never treated anyway but respectfully. Being from Alabama, I never even think of smoking "rules" as an option. So, I was doing this in ignorance of any laws they may have on the books. This is actually the first time I realized that I may have gotten in trouble, lol.
I wouldn't worry, just smoke as if you're not doing anything wrong and be respectful of others. Generally, police don't even notice anything until you get that one glimmer in your eye of trying to get away with something.

mbaytek

Lurker
Aug 28, 2013
Forget San Francisco...Go to Carmel-By-The Sea....Visit Dick at the Carmel Pipe Shop..Enjoy a pipe at any of the restaurants with an outside patio...
I work about ten minutes from the Carmel Pipe shop, great place!

Status
Not open for further replies.