PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I'm on a quest to find the grassiest straight VA flake on the planet. I've come to realize that the straight Va's I love the most are the ones with the most grass/hay notes or the ones with a lot of citrus notes.
What say you, pipe community? What's the grassiest tasting straight Va you ever smoked? I need some recommendations for my next order.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Thanks SSJones,
OGS and dunhill flake are already staples in my rotation. Can you think of anything grassier than those?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't find Dunhill Flake grassy at all, certainly nothing like OGS. To my tastes OGS is in a grass class of itself.
Try Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster, Tordenskjold Virginia Slices, and Capstan Gold Flake although the Capstan has more citrus than grass.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't beat OGS for grassy. Peter Stokkebye's LNF is also good, and McClelland's 5100 red is good, if not quite as grassy as OGS. A lovely Va/Per, although not in the grassy category, is PC/Russ's Fire Storm.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I lit up some OGS before seeing this thread, and I was surprised to learn that I was smoking grass. I get "grass" (aroma) from a box of Cubans. I don't get grass (taste or aroma) from OGS. I love it, but I don't get the association.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
+1 with pitchfork on the Mac Baren VA#1... I really like that one. Also Mac Baren Modern VA... sorta like something very similar but with a happy twist of godknowswut... but I like that one too. I also get grassy/hay-ie/spring-meadowy with Dunhill's Ready Rubbed... I guess orientals are the happy twist in that one.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Totally thought this was going to be a different thread
Yeah it was click bait, big time :nana:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So I take it that the general consensus is that I likely won't find anything grassier than OGS? That's a little disappointing, but I love OGS and smoke it everyday so it's not exactly a loss. I'm gonna try a couple of these suggestions that I'm not already familiar with on my next order.
Thanks guys.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If you want to smoke something that tastes like grass, why not just grab a handful of the real thing from the catcher bag on your mower, dry it out a little and smoke it? Whenever I read a tobacco review that says grassy or hay, I consider it one I would avoid.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
:laughat: -Heh heh! Click bait ...
I have to add my voice to the OGS choir. In this space, I also suggest well-aged Mac Baren Club Blend, though the grass is spicier here.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I suggest Newminster's Superior Flake. I've heard the Peter Stokkebye's Twist might also fill that bill.

There's always Escudo, which can deliver grassy notes. Yorktown?

I do know that the grassy notes usually come from VA tobaccos, not burley, Latakia, or Perique.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
MVF/Golden Glow, Butera's Golden Cake (though this does have a good bit of apple cider and muskiness too) and BBF to a lesser extent (mixed in with milk chocolate, malt and citrus) .

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I love that bright, grassy/hay-like taste. Unfortunately, I have a hard time detecting it, so I over-puff and burn the heck out of my tongue. All my experiences with pure Virginia have ended in sadness...
Poor me.
:(

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I find Escudo when just opened has a significant grassy taste that diminishes with each bowlful. You could open a tin, smoke a bowl and then send the rest to me.

Also Astley's #109 has a prevalent grassy note

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Reiner Long Golden Flake - superficially similar to Orlik Golden Slice but a bah-zillion times better.

Wessex - Gold Virginia Flake

Brigham - Kolondike Gold

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tinsel:
I'm a Lat guy through and through. But, on a lark, I laid down a pound of Hearth & Home Signature Anniversary Kake several years ago and all of my friends here rave about it.
AK smells like a new mown lawn to me. But, YMMF.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.