PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I would have switched the camera on, you are in the comfort of your own home where it's no one's business what your doing. Today I had a Microsoft Teams meeting as most work from home, stuck the unlit pipe in my mouth (smoking in offices has the, figure of speech, death sentence) and no one commented. Maybe because it's a known prop on my desk, maybe because I'm known for doing strange stuff on camera or through microphones. In my field of work it's better, my employer isnt putting money in decent smartboards where we all can see what a developer does and watching a developer doing its magic on his or her screen isnt that easy, so a share screen function on Teams is quite invaluable.

I would have switched the camera on, you are in the comfort of your own home where it's no one's business what your doing.
Actually, I risk the possibility of harsh judgement and potential shunning or other consequences. It's the USA in 2022 and sadly there is a lot of fear these days much of it justified. One misinterpreted word or action, etc and it can go poorly. Smoking (unless it is weed it seems) is considered very bad form in many circles... I will leave the camera off :(. As an aside I find it amazing weed is being legalized while at the same time tobacco is being shunned...they both cause health problems but the weed lobby is very strong and tobacco companies are demonized. America...the land of the double standard :(. I wish it weren't so

Last edited:

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Actually, I risk the possibility of harsh judgement and potential shunning or other consequences. It's the USA in 2022 and sadly there is a lot of fear these days much of it justified. One misinterpreted word or action, etc and it can go poorly. Smoking (unless it is weed it seems) is considered very bad form in many circles... I will leave the camera off :(. As an aside I find it amazing weed is being legalized while at the same time tobacco is being shunned...they both cause health problems but the weed lobby is very strong and tobacco companies are demonized. America...the land of the double standard :(. I wish it weren't so
So sad how the world becomes. I'm lucky I only get scrawny comments like "hey look it's popeye/captain haddock" or how much I look like a curmudgeon codger with a pipe in my mouth, even more than I'm without. I'll admit I won't do it when my manager joins the conversation, but with my coworkers I could hardly give a crap what they think of it.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Actually, I risk the possibility of harsh judgement and potential shunning or other consequences.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I run my own studio, so I don't have to worry about the boss. And though I have lost a couple clients over zoom(more for not wearing a mask than smoking ~ as if I'd wear one in my own home on zoom ?)because of the pipe, I'm old enough now to simply not care.

Reactions: dctune and jpmcwjr
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
If it’s a corporate all hands, yes. If it’s a smaller team meeting, no. If someone is putting time in my calendar, there’s likely a reason for it or I’ll take care of it offline. So if there is a reason for it, I give my full attention (and I expect theirs in return). Otherwise don’t waste my time with a meeting request.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Yeah, that's unfortunate. I run my own studio, so I don't have to worry about the boss. And though I have lost a couple clients over zoom(more for not wearing a mask than smoking ~ as if I'd wear one in my own home on zoom ?)because of the pipe, I'm old enough now to simply not care.

You LOST a client because you wouldn’t wear a mask IN YOUR HOME while on a Zoom meeting?!?!?!? Wow. To me, it sounds like a client WORTH losing. ?

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
So sad how the world becomes. I'm lucky I only get scrawny comments like "hey look it's popeye/captain haddock" or how much I look like a curmudgeon codger with a pipe in my mouth, even more than I'm without. I'll admit I won't do it when my manager joins the conversation, but with my coworkers I could hardly give a crap what they think of it.

I tend to think….. being compared to Captain Haddock…. should be considered a COMPLEMENT! He is perhaps my favorite fictional cartoon character. ?