PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
It is just crazy. I have no words. Cars can run around, but smokers are banished to these cabins. From OPEN AIR to closed cabins. Let the video talk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0bBzRTiIPI

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So folks are going to take a thirty minute stop to stand blowing smoke into a vent? Seats? Reading material? Music? Who does that? Mostly, it's ineffectual.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think that’s pretty cool. I’d rather smoke in one of those tings than to be banished to the outdoors with all the elements. I’d like to see the US get some of those. I used to just go to my car in the parking garage on my smoke breaks but they’ve banned that now too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Crowded cities may have a special problem, especially if they have a serious ambient air pollution situation anyway. Those of us who live in the provinces often forget that, in my case the heavy scent of downtown Chicago at rush hour. However, most places including many smaller or medium size cities, with some open areas, I think the idea that people are picking up significant secondhand smoke exposure from passing pedestrians is absurd. Would it work to spray vitamins into the air for public health? No one would buy that. No one would believe benefits were being imparted.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Everything in Singapore is heavily regulated; when I visited I didn't take any tobacco (there is a zero duty free limit) as it was evident from guide books that smoking a pipe was a non-starter. It's an interesting city/country to visit but I don't think I could live there (I used to work in Malaysia which has a completely different attitude to these things).
It's not that easy to own a car in Singapore. Owners need to buy a 10 year permit (Certificate of Entitlement); these are limited and purchased through public auctions. Currently for a car with more than 1.6 litre engine I think the average permit is around $30,000 (US). Also; Singapore doesn't allow people to own or drive older model cars (the idea is that you can only get a 10 year permit for a new vehicle, it can be renewed for a further 7 years after which the vehicle must be scrapped). On top of that they have road pricing so you have to pay more to use the car.
So yes, you do see cars around but you need to really want (or need) one to go to the trouble and expense of having one; still, public transport works well in Singapore.
But smoking, forget it!

Status
Not open for further replies.