PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I'm quite a self-conscious chap and would be interested to hear if anyone else had reservations about being seen smoking their pipe when they first started out. Did you feel as though the process had to become almost second nature, to avoid the sense that people could tell you were a novice?
Of course no one really gives a damn, but my question still stands.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Do you mean out in the outside world with everyone, or with other pipe smokers?
I've only had a pipe alone or with my cigar smoking neighbor. Luckily he couldn't tell how inept I was at packing and lighting, so I didn't say anything.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I do it every day. I began as a cigarette smoker and phased that out so I resort exclusively to pipes as my new smoking habits.
I don't see the pipe as a ceremonial thing as many do and don't really need to set aside some time to really appreciate what I'm smoking: it's just part of my day. As such, I give as much thought to what people may think of my pipe smoking skills as I gave to what people thought of my cigarette smoking skills - which is none. That concept is very odd to me.

My wife and I walk the dog around the entire downtown part of our city every day. Walking with a pipe is a great way to start out, because the key part of truly enjoying a pipe (IMO) is forgetting about the pipe. I mean, that like with driving, in the beginning, we have to think, clutch, let off gas, shift, let of clutch, while giving more gas... etc... But, then after a while, we aren't even thinking about shifting. And, it's not too long before we barely remember the drive home that we make every day.

Imagine smoking your pipe, where you barely remember what you did when you packed the pipe. Not remembering what you did while you were smoking. You just lit your pipe and enjoyed it, without the bother of all of the stupid stuff that drives us nuts in the beginning, like the pack, the light, tamping, etc...
Walking with your pipe makes this a lot easier, because you are already (NOT) thinking about so many things, left foot, right foot, shift weight to keep balance... Soon, add smoking to the things not thought about. Then you can just enjoy the best parts of smoking, which is the flavors and nicotine. :puffy:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
reservations about being seen smoking their pipe when they first started out.
Not me, but then again I started so long ago that a) I probably wouldn't remember even if I had, & b) there wouldn't have been enough people around me who knew enough about it to know if it was a case of "ur doin' it wrong." Sorry to not be of much help. :)
Bill

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I was very self conscious about it when I first started, now I consider it an extension of me and people find it odd when I don’t have a pipe sticking out of my mouth. I still think it’s rather annoying/funny when kids think that I’m smoking a huge bowl of pot while I’m walking my dog. I sometimes hear them whisper things like, “wow, that’s like a totally awesome pipe” or, “damn, that guy is brave to smoke out in the open like that”.
Just own it and people will assume you’ve been smoking a pipe all of your life.

Reactions: TheWhale13

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Do you mean out in the outside world with everyone, or with other pipe smokers?
Either, I suppose. With other pipe smokers would be particularly intimidating.
I don't see the pipe as a ceremonial thing as many do [...]
Well, if it's just a smoke to you, then yes I can see how odd the concept must seem. But as you say to many it is a ceremony. When I watch pipe smokers on youtube I can tell very quickly how accomplished they are. Many pack, light and smoke their pipe as naturally as they breathe, while others look awkward and clumsy.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Sorry to not be of much help.
Not at all. And if that's you in your avo, you look like the epitome of a pipe smoker :)
I was very self conscious about it when I first started, now I consider it an extension of me and people find it odd when I don’t have a pipe sticking out of my mouth. I still think it’s rather annoying/funny when kids think that I’m smoking a huge bowl of pot while I’m walking my dog. I sometimes hear them whisper things like, “wow, that’s like a totally awesome pipe” or, “damn, that guy is brave to smoke out in the open like that”.
Just own it and people will assume you’ve been smoking a pipe all of your life.
I like the idea of piping while walking. I can do that with the knowledge I'll encounter very few people, but enough to be able to tell myself I smoked a pipe in public.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Not at all. And if that's you in your avo, you look like the epitome of a pipe smoke
Yup, it's me, all right, & thanks. :):) And if you think I'm the classic archetype, we need to introduce you to fishnbanjo or jaytex. :rofl:
Bill

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I was really worried at first, about people giving me greif about it. It took about a year or so before I stopped caring. You have to be or act excited about it, and people will think it's normal. I tell most new people I meet right away that I'm a pipe smoker. That way it's not as much as a shock if and when I light up.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
And with the walking part:
My wife gave me crap last year when we went on a hike on a trail in the woods. I was smoking my pipe as we hiked, while passing a few people who were smoking cigarettes. My wife said " don't you think it's wierd that you are smoking that thing while hiking?"

I responded with " No... I think it's wierd that people are smoking cigarettes while hiking though". She didn't get it then, and I'm sure she still doesn't get it now. Oh well.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Wives can be clueless! That’s why I got rid of mine... well I didn’t get rid of her, just divorced her, the thought crossed my mind to get rid of her though, I must admit. :puffy: When I lived up in Oregon I would love to go hike on Mt. Hood and I always had at least 3 to 4 pipes with me for the trip. Smoking while hiking is truly magnificent.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
My pipe smoking is almost exclusively while walking the dogs. I don't see many people and mostly am just sauntering along through wood and field smoking my pipe and enjoying the day. I get the impression that the people who do see me just don't care and/or find the pipe smoking quaint and inoffensive. Sometimes I see people I've seen before who want to join me and chat about life and the world and politics and typically I'll pause my smoking out of consideration for them as we amble along together although no one has asked me to stop smoking.
Then again, I long ago accepted the fact that I am a fool. It is a wonderfully liberating realization. If someone else perceives me as foolish good for them; they got it right.

Jan 7, 2019
When I first stared I wouldn’t dare go around other people! I’d slip down to the local cigar lounge, grab a stick, and carefully watch the old timers smoke their pipes. Then I’d go home and try to emulate them. Man I made every mistake you could make. I did start with a cob because I wasn’t sure I’d stick with it and I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a briar that I’d ruin.
But no, I didn’t smoke my pipe around other pipers for probably close to two years. If I had it to do over, I’d do it the same way! lol

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No one bats an eye seeing me smoke my pipes. Been doing it for nearly thirty years, and have gotten no more than curious questions.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Well I'm glad to see that my fears this reluctance was unique to me appear to be generally unfounded :)

Status
Not open for further replies.