Smoking 1/2 Bowl at a Time. Get a Smaller Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
Title edited for caps. Rule 9 -jpm

I find myself filling my pipes to the top hoping to make it through a full bowl, but the majority of the time, I’m lucky to make it through half.

Curious, would you just pack a half bowl? Buy pipes with small bowls?

My pipes aren’t big, I’d go with pretty average.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I tend to get bored after 30-40 mins, so I gravitate towards medium sized (size 3-5) bowls.
I do have smaller pipes that get used if I don't have the time or just want to taste a blend.

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with just filling half a bowl.

Same with cigars. Tending to smoke more corona gordas or robustos rather than Churchills or double coronas which I used to love. I have boxes of diademas which I haven't broached in years.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
As others have mentioned, there is no right or wrong. I have large, medium and small pipes. Typically, if I'm smoking a stronger blend I will choose a smaller pipe. Other times, I may fill up a large pipe and just smoke it off and on for a few hours. Do what is right for you.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
It’s a great question. I’ve found that my most enjoyable pipes are small group 4 billiards. Bowls of .80 inner diameter and a depth of less than 1.5 inches or smaller.

Since I often find myself emptying a small plug of dottle from these, I consider what I initially load as fodder, knowing it may get tapped out when the bowl gets ashy.

So I’ve gotten into the habit of loading the bottom one third with a filler Tobacco and then atop I load the blend I wish to enjoy. — We all have those tobacco’s lying around that don’t excite— they become my “once like a child” fill.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I more often than not smoke a bowl over two sessions (or even three in my large freehand).
I usually prefer it over smaller bowls. The relight is easy, and often it seems to take on a better quality after it's cooled down and rested. Sometimes I have more than one partially smoked bowl going, and alternate between two types of smokes.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Strong blends like ropes, plugs etcI Smoke in smaller bowls and then may only smoke half the bowl and return to it later.Quality Virginia flake blends that I really like I smoke in large bowls,but I may only smoke half the bowl, when I return the same day or the following day or the day after that the second half of the bowl always tastes better.This cannot be true of all blends but this has been my experience.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
If it’s just about smoking time then either would work. If there are other reasons, then maybe one would work better. I tend to have better smokes from medium to large pipes.

There was an article by GLP in the Magazine about his gent that only liked to smoke the first half of a pipe so that’s what he did. It didn’t concern him that he was “wasting” the button portion of tobacco any more than it bothered him that he was only building cake in the top half of the bowl.

I have different strategies for smoking lengths - bowl size is just one. For shorter smokes I can use a smaller pipe, pack looser, use a finer or drier tobacco, etc.

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
Appreciate all the feedback.

One piece I wonder about between a half bowl smoked all the way, full bowl smoked half way, or an all around smaller bowl:

I read reviews about tobacco - and people will talk about the taste changing through the bowl at the 1/2 way point, or different spots.

Do I miss out on that transition one way or the other? And... do I care?

Reactions: Toast and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I nearly always smoke a bowl intermittently since that's the way my life works. Often a bowl goes from one day to the next. FYI, with a pipe with a small chamber, you can get longer smokes with cuts like flake, coin, rope, and plug, maybe because they retain a little more moisture and are slightly more dense.

If you want a briar with a smaller chamber, the French make a lot of those, with quality far beyond their price point. Look at BC, Chacom, Genod, and Ropp.

Reactions: ofafeather

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
All of the pipes I have bought new are all clean briar the last 3rd or 4th of the bowl. I start packing 1/4 bowl above the bottom. I hate the goopy strong nasty stuff that collects at the bottom.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
If you want to build cake, half bowls are a good start
That is, If you want to build cake.

Even if you don't there is nothing wrong with loading half a bowl.
What is wrong is scorching the bowl while lighting up.
Firing up a half bowl safely takes a wee bit of finesse.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If I want a quick smoke I use a smaller (35mm depth) pipe filled 1/2 way or all the way depending on time. If I am running errands or traveling all day I bring a large pipe (48mm to 55mm depth) and re-light as necessary. I clean the bowls after each smoke so no dottle remains in bowl to stink it up.