PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
funny thing for me is I have the opposite experience as many. If I sit I have to watch the pipe more and think a bit about it. And the faster I walk the slower I smoke the pipe. Like if I am going somewhere in a hurry that's when I can do a two hour pipe easily.

Reactions: Duck

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
funny thing for me is I have the opposite experience as many. If I sit I have to watch the pipe more and think a bit about it. And the faster I walk the slower I smoke the pipe. Like if I am going somewhere in a hurry that's when I can do a two hour pipe easily.
How can it take you two hours to get there in a hurry?

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I haven’t had any issues, just don’t puff as much. One puff every 10 steps, something like that.

Walking (or lunting) was how I prepared for my first slow smoking contest. I used my steps as a way to regulate my cadence, getting it slower and slower, till eventually I just figured out that if I left the pipe in clench, and gave it no attention at all, that my breathing through my nose and the expansion of my throat when I did this was regulation of my cadence enough. Now, I just leave a pipe in clench all day long. But, of course I can't set down and do nothing, so I am always doing "something" while I smoke, even if it is just reading a book. Heck, I have been known to read and walk, no kiddin'.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
another bob and cosmic threw in the word lunting, which means smoking a pipe while walking (at whatever speed). I think it is Scottish in derivation. Computer spell check hates it.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
another bob and cosmic threw in the word lunting, which means smoking a pipe while walking (at whatever speed). I think it is Scottish in derivation. Computer spell check hates it.
Indeed, it is a Scots word. One I hadn't heard for many years, and coincidently had been racking my brain trying to remember. The dictionaries will tell you it refers to a match, but it predates matches. In my youth it was a word for spills/tapers. I acquired about a thousand of them recently, hence my trying to remember the Scots word for them.