PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hsnzz

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2018
chicagopipeclub.com
I was pursuing through a local antique store when my wife called me over to check out a pipe. Great, I thought, probably another old unusable relic. However I was much surprised to come across a pipe that although needs a little TLC, looked pretty appealing. Its stamped "SMOKERS HAVEN Special Selection LONDON, ENGLAND 9465". I am familiar with Smokers Haven the pipe shop with their own pipe tobaccos, however I couldn't find anything to do with Smoker Haven pipes. Googling of the model number suggests that this is possibly a GBD. I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me more about the pipe brand and perhaps help date it. The bowl appears to be in decent condition, and the stem although oxidized appears to be fairly bite free. I plan on cleaning it up and smoking it!
img_7168-600x450.jpg

img_7169.jpg

Last edited:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
GBD. See the shape here,
https://pipedia.org/images/b/b5/GBD_1961Flyer_ShapeChart1.jpg
from,
https://pipedia.org/wiki/GBD_Shapes/Numbers
Nice looking pipe!
:)

Reactions: hsnzz

hsnzz

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2018
chicagopipeclub.com
Thank you all for your feedback and links! Since it matches the GBD shape (and model number for that matter), I think its safe to say that it is a GBD with a unique Smokers Haven stamp. This will be my first GBD and Liverpool - and I dig its length which is 6" long. I should probably pre-order some Smokers Haven pipe tobacco for the inaugural smoke. Next step, get this baby cleaned up!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most impressive. With clean-up likely gorgeous. For irrational reasons, I like to observe that pipes in the Canadian family shapes (long shanked) are the stateliest. Maybe take your wife out for a nice meal. Some of my best pipes and blends are gifts from my wife, which she says she selects as an idiot savant. It's all those Galois and Camels she smoked in her younger days, the magic in the leaf.

hsnzz

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2018
chicagopipeclub.com
I thought I’d share with you the cleaned up version of the pipe. Amu aka the PipeMedic from Arlington Pipes and Cigars (Arlington, IL) did a great job cleaning it up. She is really great to work with and charges a very reasonable fee. The pipe is now in mint condition and smokes beautifully! I was hoping to smoke some Smokers Haven in this pipe, alas, I was unable to wait for the pre-order to arrive.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
If you would like additional information about your pipe contact

Premal Chheda at Smokers Haven in Ohio. He will be able to help you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the ceremonial tobacco is on the way, I'd count the preliminary bowls as the opening and the name brand tobacco as the Grand Opening.

hsnzz

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2018
chicagopipeclub.com
If you would like additional information about your pipe contact

Premal Chheda at Smokers Haven in Ohio. He will be able to help you.
I just listened to the Pipe and Tampers (the other podcast) Sept show (Episode 51) featuring Premal's interview. He sounded like a nice guy. I think I might reach out to him, thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.