PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Missourians enjoy the lowest cigarette taxes in the United States, and likely the industrialized world. Yesterday I was in a cheap smokes shop in Versailles, Missouri where 24/7 brand cigarettes were priced at $19.88 a carton tax paid.

This puts sellers of roll your own tobacco in a price squeeze. If you can buy perfectly good cigarettes for two dollars a pack, and 24/7 cigarettes are honestly about as good as any other commercial brand, then to catch a customer the RYO sellers must undercut that price substantially.

Most of those smoke shops have a wide variety of RYO “pipe tobacco” priced about $10 per pound. Some brands are “enhanced” by puffing up with air, to where the bags are as big as a pillow. Figuring a cigarette per gram, even the ordinary RYO tobacco would have almost 450 cigarettes per pound, putting RYO cigarettes about four times cheaper than the cheapest “tailor mades”, even allowing for the cost of cigarette papers.

I bought a 99 cent package of Smoker Friendly Regular Pipe Tobacco to see how good of tobacco I can fill my Lee for a dollar.

B926CA22-8456-4D92-851F-F8A791470B63.jpegF3A93877-898B-4122-BB99-BE7222399AC9.jpegC4DBA9D8-B3DA-49F6-86D3-C03539316D41.jpeg

This is delicious aromatic pipe tobacco. The pouch has a strong, fruity aroma with notes of new mown hay. It’s shag cut, packs easily, and just bursts with citrus, hay, chocolate, and strong, nutty burley tobacco flavors,

Think of a complex Five Brothers with Virginia added, and less nicotine, and that describes this blend well.

I hope the do gooders are a long time closing the “pipe tobacco in name only” loophole in the federal tax laws that allows some poor fellow down on his luck, to get a little bit of comfort against the storms of life, for a dollar for a really good pouch of tobacco.

I’m sure most of this gets rolled into cigarettes, which is sort of a waste of excellent pipe tobacco, you know?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Missourians enjoy the lowest cigarette taxes in the United States, and likely the industrialized world. Yesterday I was in a cheap smokes shop in Versailles, Missouri where 24/7 brand cigarettes were priced at $19.88 a carton tax paid.

This puts sellers of roll your own tobacco in a price squeeze. If you can buy perfectly good cigarettes for two dollars a pack, and 24/7 cigarettes are honestly about as good as any other commercial brand, then to catch a customer the RYO sellers must undercut that price substantially.

Most of those smoke shops have a wide variety of RYO “pipe tobacco” priced about $10 per pound. Some brands are “enhanced” by puffing up with air, to where the bags are as big as a pillow. Figuring a cigarette per gram, even the ordinary RYO tobacco would have almost 450 cigarettes per pound, putting RYO cigarettes about four times cheaper than the cheapest “tailor mades”, even allowing for the cost of cigarette papers.

I bought a 99 cent package of Smoker Friendly Regular Pipe Tobacco to see how good of tobacco I can fill my Lee for a dollar.

View attachment 154116View attachment 154117View attachment 154118

This is delicious aromatic pipe tobacco. The pouch has a strong, fruity aroma with notes of new mown hay. It’s shag cut, packs easily, and just bursts with citrus, hay, chocolate, and strong, nutty burley tobacco flavors,

Think of a complex Five Brothers with Virginia added, and less nicotine, and that describes this blend well.

I hope the do gooders are a long time closing the “pipe tobacco in name only” loophole in the federal tax laws that allows some poor fellow down on his luck, to get a little bit of comfort against the storms of life, for a dollar for a really good pouch of tobacco.

I’m sure most of this gets rolled into cigarettes, which is sort of a waste of excellent pipe tobacco, you know?
Well I believe they closed that loop hole in the Uk and I assume Europe several years ago by specifying a minimum cut size (including flake thickness) anything fine cut taxed as RYO.
I remember St Bruno flake having a notice to that effect re flake thickness on the inside of the pouch
Not being a cig smoker I guess proper ribbon cut doesnt make good cigs

Reactions: MtnGeo
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Being in Missouri I used to buy cartons of Cheyenne cigarettes ( actual cigarettes, not the cigar kind) for around 22 dollars. Man, those things were pretty rough. Before that when money was really an issue, I would buy the RYO pipe tobacco and the tubes and roll my own. Those things were down right nasty. Never tried any in a pipe though. I'm glad I find myself in a better life scenario at the moment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bag tobacco can be pretty good. I don't think it is sourced from some inferior tobacco farms. Over time, it might suffer from being packaged in an inexpensive way, but I think the product itself is frequently as good as what ends up in premium blends. That's not to say you can't get some pretty harsh leaf, but mostly that's not the case. Bag tobacco can be used in home mixes to do some satisfying home blends.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU

View attachment 154116View attachment 154117View attachment 154118

Sounds like this is solid ,nice tobacco, how much cost Lucky Strike or Camel unfiltered in MO?

Reactions: JOHN72

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
One of the reasons I’m opposed to legalization of marijuana is that in time, a young man will be able to take a dollar to the store and buy an excellent quality little pouch of weed, or maybe a good gummy edible.

The smoke shop in economically devastated Humansville Missouri sells $20 cartons of cigarettes, dollar pouches of tobacco, and dollar Fireballs. For twenty dollars, and you’ll get back change, I’ve seen kids buy tubs of twenty Fireballs and the tub converts into cooler.

America has the evilest, most unscrupulous, conniving, conscienceless old men on the planet peddling bad things to young men.

But things are looking up at Humansville. Just north of town some folks with a license to raise medical marijuana, to sell as medicine to the halt, lame, and afflicted, have gotten annexed into the city and a new power sub station and have three enormous new grow barns to produce their curative herbs.

And easy no down payment low interest 30 year loans have driven the price of land up past $5,000 an acre, so that when me and my Amish renter try enjoying my $500 AR-15 at my range the new neighbors are always turning us into the law, and they are always friendly, when they come, but still….

You might ask why my concern for poor folks rolling a smoke, then.

There are over 9,000 different Christian sects in the Ozarks within a 90 mile radius of Springfield.

The one I was born into, glorified the tramp on the street, the homeless stranger, and the railroad hoboes.

We were cautioned that smelly bum, might be Christ in disguise waking among men.

Would you take away a cheap cigarette from our Gentle Savior?

Tobacco is without question, a vice.

But of all the vices in this sin cussed world, I’ll argue tobacco has given more solace and comfort to those who sorely need some, than any other.

Besides, a lot of those old Cambellite morality songs wouldn’t make any sense without a hobo rolling a pill.:)

LAST RIDE
Hank Snow

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't smoke enough tobacco to have price be a deciding factor, although I don't chase the legacy blends that are bid through the roof. I find some bag blends like D&R Two Timer and OHM Red, burley and Turkish, good on their own and pleasant for mixing.

Looked at a little differently, if I spent 20 USD for a tin of Two Timer, which is a slightly elevated price in the market where I am, I wouldn't be displeased about the price.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm against weed for only one reason. Seen too many of my friends wasting their life away. It may not be addictive, it may not harm them, but it sure make them lazy as fuck. They will smoke weed and won't do anything but veggie out.

Tobacco is whole lot more productive.
Some of us are the exact opposite. Sad all your friends take the lazy route.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
It often depends on the strain.. The future of marijuana is now!

If i sit and smoke to long, my pipes can make me lazy too. Especially the strong blends.

I like this kind of tobacco blend.. Most "ryo" type tobacco I've tried has smoked good enough in a pipe.

Reactions: bullet08

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I thought the Amish didn't use newfangled modern things?
Within just a few miles of my farm at Humansville there are the remnants of the old time Congregationalist Christians (Campbellites), a large Old Order Amish sect, Mennonites, Polygamous Mormons, Missionary Baptists, and other sects besides the usual Methodists, Baptists, Lutherans, etc.

My Amish renter can borrow my AR-15. He’d be non observant if he owned more than one bolt action high powered rifle. He can own one .22 rifle with a wooden stock. He might be able to own a .22 pistol, he says, but no other Amish own a pistol so he doesn’t want one.

In theology the Amish, Mennonites, and Campbellites are incredibly similar.

But as Campbelitte I can smoke, drink, cuss, drive cars, or own any gun I want. I shouldn’t let those modern vices of man own me. I follow the laws of man, but I serve only the Master. I observe Matthew 25:40. So does my Amish renter, by his own lights.

We both are going to face Christ, at the Last Judgement.

His face might not be what you expect, with the long brown hair you typically see on church house walls.. He might be a homeless wino, who rolls his own, when he has tobacco.

CHARLIE’S PICTURE

Reactions: romaso