PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In anticipation of the price increase that never came I bought a lot of tobacco, and one of the 12 ounce packages was Smoker’s Pride Classic Blend. If bought as part of a special it’s a dollar and ounce.

This stuff smells wonderful, to open the package. It’s a simple burley blend with a fruity top note that reminds me most of Carter Hall.

59E26D66-EB5D-4988-A45F-92E89F5E47DF.jpeg7A00571C-8B09-4227-B3FC-AA023376D747.jpeg

Men used to smoke blends like this every day for a lifetime and be happy with them.

There’s a good dose of nicotine, there’s no bite or burn to it, it’s good pipe tobacco that tastes like ripened, well aged, burley tobacco.

Worth having around, for times when you just want a good smoke.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bag tobaccos are mostly way better than their reputation, both smoked neat or for mixing. I have supplies of both OHM and D&R and really enjoy them. They often smoke a little better and hit the spot more than more premium blends on any given day. Because they come by the pound, or close to it, and are inexpensive in many cases, I'd resist the urge to buy quantities, but a bag or two will last most of us, along with other tobaccos we buy, for years. Carefully consider the different blends in one brand. OHM has a good "Red" burley/Turkish blend, and D&R's Two Timer is a skillful blend of burleys. Admiral's Choice has several Cavendish blends. Don't miss out on this dimension of available pipe tobacco.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Bag tobaccos are mostly way better than their reputation, both smoked neat or for mixing. I have supplies of both OHM and D&R and really enjoy them. They often smoke a little better and hit the spot more than more premium blends on any given day. Because they come by the pound, or close to it, and are inexpensive in many cases, I'd resist the urge to buy quantities, but a bag or two will last most of us, along with other tobaccos we buy, for years. Carefully consider the different blends in one brand. OHM has a good "Red" burley/Turkish blend, and D&R's Two Timer is a skillful blend of burleys. Admiral's Choice has several Cavendish blends. Don't miss out on this dimension of available pipe tobacco.
The companion to this was Admiral’s Choice, another classic burley blend, maybe with more Virginia in the mix.

In bulk all these value premium pipe tobacco blends are about a dollar an ounce. That works out to $1.50 for an ounce and a half.

Adjusted for inflation value premium pipe tobacco is probably as cheap now as it has ever been in a hundred years.

You can smoke all you want for a dollar a day.

The roll your own type pipe tobaccos are even cheaper, but you’d miss real pipe tobacco.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Yes, Sir!

Smoker's Pride is excellent to me. I was lucky enough to load-up on the red bag Rich Taste before they stopped distribution that one - and, I still can't understand why they did this.

I like to use SPRT as a Burley-base in my experimental blending; and, as a good rotation/substitute for other basic Burley's like Granger.

I also like Smoker's Pride Vanilla. I don't smoke this straight from the bag; but rather, I will blend about 20% into my other basic Burley's - like D&R offerings - just to liven things up a tad.

In addition to Smoker's Pride products, and D&R, I'm also a fan of some of the Super-Value products. - Sherm Natman

PeterPipersPizza

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2021
Fresno, CA
First tobacco I ever tried as a teenager, I thought it was the Vanilla flavor. But I remember the bag being a yellowish color like the original you posted above. I will have to try the two side by side and see if I can straighten out my memories.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Good to hear. If never tried bag tobaccos because I thought the cheap bulk price would reflect a poor quality of leaf. It sounds like I am wrong.
It can mean lesser quality...usually stuff labeled as pipe tobacco that's really meant for roll your own, but there are some really great blends that are worth trying. D&R is, in my mind, king of the cheap bagged stuff. Either of the Rimboche blends are great VaPers and I smoke Ryback daily. Smoker's pride and even some Super Value blends are great on their own merits.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I know this is an old thread but figured I’d throw in my 2 cents. Picked up a bag of the Classic Blend the other day from my local B&M. Been smoking this stuff exclusively all day at work. It is kinda odd, got a Carter Hall vibe going on one minute then it’s more of a Half&Half thing. Overall, for the money it’s a just basic decent smoke.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Why it is labeled as pipe tobacco when it is clearly for roll your own cigarettes? Strange.
I don't think it is a RYO ... its Pipe Tobacco in Bulk made by Lane Limited. In fact its very similar if not the same as some of their bulk pipe tobaccos at even cheaper prices. I have only had the cherry cavendish and it was quite good everyday 'pipe' tobacco ... not cigarrette tobacco.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I don't think it is a RYO ... its Pipe Tobacco in Bulk made by Lane Limited. In fact its very similar if not the same as some of their bulk pipe tobaccos at even cheaper prices. I have only had the cherry cavendish and it was quite good everyday 'pipe' tobacco ... not cigarrette tobacco.
You’re right, definitely not RYO on these blends. These truly are pipe tobacco. And so far as the OP said, for the price….hard to beat!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I love history, and when Prince Albert came out in 1907 you read where sales just exploded, exceeding anything RJ Reynolds planned for.

By the time of WW2, there was Velvet, SWR, Half and Half, Carter Hall, and Granger, still mainstay codger burleys today.

Half and Half has some bright leaf, but infusing burley tobacco with delicious flavorings is century old tech.

And, it’s still profitable.

The retail price of Smoker’s Pride blends is about a dollar an ounce, or $16 a pound.

The entire cost of taxes and leaf is not half that amount.

The burley the blenders buy from Kentucky costs the same in Cult Blood Red Moon and Smoker’s Pride Cherry.

Sure, Lane would rather sell two ounces of Cult for $16 than a pound of Smoker’s Pride, but bidnezz is bidnezz, you know?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I'd
I love history, and when Prince Albert came out in 1907 you read where sales just exploded, exceeding anything RJ Reynolds planned for.

By the time of WW2, there was Velvet, SWR, Half and Half, Carter Hall, and Granger, still mainstay codger burleys today.

Half and Half has some bright leaf, but infusing burley tobacco with delicious flavorings is century old tech.

And, it’s still profitable.

The retail price of Smoker’s Pride blends is about a dollar an ounce, or $16 a pound.

The entire cost of taxes and leaf is not half that amount.

The burley the blenders buy from Kentucky costs the same in Cult Blood Red Moon and Smoker’s Pride Cherry.

Sure, Lane would rather sell two ounces of Cult for $16 than a pound of Smoker’s Pride, but bidnezz is bidnezz, you know?
I'd love to know where you are buying it. Must be online. Around here the vape shops sell it anywhere from $18.50 to $38+ a pound. The local vape (Tobacco and Pipes Store (NOT!)) sells it for $45.00.
Most of them don't sell pipe tobacco but RYO as pipe tobacco and they only have chinese pipes and have never seen a real pipe, pipe tool, or real tobacco before. And all the clerks make up answers to any question asked as they only get $8.00 an hour. (just venting!)

Reactions: kurtbob

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I'd

I'd love to know where you are buying it. Must be online. Around here the vape shops sell it anywhere from $18.50 to $38+ a pound. The local vape (Tobacco and Pipes Store (NOT!)) sells it for $45.00.
Most of them don't sell pipe tobacco but RYO as pipe tobacco and they only have chinese pipes and have never seen a real pipe, pipe tool, or real tobacco before. And all the clerks make up answers to any question asked as they only get $8.00 an hour. (just venting!)
On Pipes and Cigars they usually have 8 bags, or 6 pounds, for $99, and free shipping.

They don’t add the 10% Missouri excise tax, but even if they do it’s still just north of a $1 an ounce.

Here’s why it’s so cheap:

General Observations for 2021

Burley – Given our base scenario assumptions (2,300 lb yield, $2.00/lb market price, 150 hours of hired labor at $15.10/hr, and $550/acre fixed costs) the net return to operator labor and management for 2021 is projected to be $115/acre. In comparison, during the early years after the buyout, burley producers generally anticipated a return to labor and management in the neighborhood of $1000/acre.

Reactions: chopper