PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down here in the Birmingham area, we have one very large Greek family that owns all of the top restaurants. If a place gets five stars, national recognition, it’s own by that family.
In following one of the chefs on facebook and discussing Greek foods with him, and the montage of Greek and Southern cuisine, I came up with this dish.

The meatballs are venison mixed by hand with garlic, a big fistful of mint, bread crumbs, and an egg. Then smoked in applewood... actually, it’s peachwood from pruning the trees this Fall.

The sauce is a traditional alfredo, but I added sweet green peas.

The pasta is just spaghetti.

I suggest serving with a dry peach wine, oaky, not to sweet, just the hint of summer peaches in the aftertaste.
93883655-8069-4868-84D5-7CA23CDCFC54.jpeg
Just crumble some feta and a diced radish on top and dig in.
Oompa!!!

Good job! Sounds good, and feta on top makes most things better IMO.

I make a ton of meatballs, we eat them often because my son loves them and I can hide a lot of veg in them.
I make one with diced turnip greens and diced turnips. The meat is a mix of spicy Italian sausage and fresh beef, 2 to one ratio.
I let them simmer all day in the trifecta of onions, cellery, and carrots. Then cut in cream and white cheeses. The mix of turnip and spicy just blends well, IMO. But, I have to cut it with beef to keep from scorching Mrs Cosmic. Ha ha

It hides the veggies well, since the ones in the sauce cook to a puree.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
This is one of very few dishes that I don’t start by cutting an onion. My wife has noticed that I use so many onions everytime I cook, that when we first went into lockdown with only one onion in the pantry, she screamed at me that we were going to starve to death, ha ha!
Are you Polish lol? My Polish buddy would always refer to any country bumpkin/redneck type person as "cebula" meaning onion/shallot, because he says it was the main staple food for that type when he was a kid in Poland, and they all smelled like onions.
Apparently Cebula is even a common surname in Poland.

Are you Polish lol? My Polish buddy would always refer to any country bumpkin/redneck type person as "cebula" meaning onion/shallot, because he says it was the main staple food for that type when he was a kid in Poland, and they all smelled like onions.
Apparently Cebula is even a common surname in Poland.

Not Polish. Not even 100% sure about whether I’m from this star system puffy

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Down here in the Birmingham area, we have one very large Greek family that owns all of the top restaurants. If a place gets five stars, national recognition, it’s own by that family.
In following one of the chefs on facebook and discussing Greek foods with him, and the montage of Greek and Southern cuisine, I came up with this dish.

The meatballs are venison mixed by hand with garlic, a big fistful of mint, bread crumbs, and an egg. Then smoked in applewood... actually, it’s peachwood from pruning the trees this Fall.

The sauce is a traditional alfredo, but I added sweet green peas.

The pasta is just spaghetti.

I suggest serving with a dry peach wine, oaky, not to sweet, just the hint of summer peaches in the aftertaste.
View attachment 64944
Just crumble some feta and a diced radish on top and dig in.
Oompa!!!

Looks good Michael, I guess I know where to schedule dinner at when I next visit Birmingham. I'll bring the Cubans and even will supply a bottle of wine, you do the cooking?

By the way, what's for dessert? LOL

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
"cebula" meaning onion/shallot
Some etymological notes about the word cebula - onions:
It derives from latin cēpula, a diminutive of cēpa ‛onion’. The origins and etymology of this word in latin are not known, it is probably borrowed from some unknown ancient language.
It's not present only in polish, but also in slovenian (čebula), slovakian (cibuľa), czech (cibule) and even in roman languages, it. cipolla, spanish cebolla etc.
Anyway, who doesn't love meat and onion! But it makes you cry at first, yeah. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.