PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I love smoked oysters and find they compliment English blends. What about you?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Having never mixed smoked oysters and pipe-tobacco I cannot weigh in pro or con. However, your comment reminded me of a quote concerning oysters from a book titled "The Old Man and The Boy" by the late Robert Ruark. "The Old Man used to say, "There ain't no such thing as enough oysters - it's just that the human stomach was never really designed to handle a decent bait of them.""

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love oysters, we get plenty from the Chesapeake Bay in this area. But, I love mine raw, please don't ruin them by cooking/smoking them! I just downed a dozen the soon to be son-in-law dropped off on Sunday, followed by a bowl of MM965 in an old Peterson.
In fact the boy and I joked that we need some good Oyster knives. I looked at this one, but I'm not sure that I like him well enough....yet.
http://www.williamsknife.com/knives/the-stainless-damascus-edisto.html#.Vc3QLZdCyUk
sde.png

I popped for a pair of these, with our names engraved on them. $9/each....I like the kid that much. This one will travel with me to the New Orleans Pipe Show and the best place on the East Coast for fresh oysters. A dive bar near my daughter sells a dozen for $8 that barely fit on a large pizza plate.
french-style-oyster-knives.jpg

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Dang! I've never seen birdseye in steel before, Al! I'll leave the oysters, smoked or otherwise, to you all, my preference is steamed clams with some drawn butter.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I can't seem to keep them lit, there someone had to say it. I can't say I've ever tried them at the same time but I can see where they would be complimented by a Lat heavy blend.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@eric- I beleive that would be Damascus-style steel, and yes, it is pretty!
I love smoked oysters and I love Lat. Probably wouldn't mind them together.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
As a kid I used to love smoked oysters, and I can see how they might go with a latakia blend. Seem a little oily to go with pipe smoking for my taste. But as I grew up I developed a taste for raw oysters, but lord they have to be fresh! I've had some over the years that weren't all that great, and were overpriced to boot!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
IN N.O. You've got to try Oysters Rockefeller, or Bienville, or...... But that's a gorgeous platter of shucked gems.
As to mixing with tobacco, I find that it takes way too long to dry the oysters down to a smokeable state! But thanks for the reminder: I love smoked oysters and haven't had any in ages...

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Never tried oysters. I like them roasted or steamed with vinegar and Tabasco sauce backed with 24 oz cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon. I love craft beers but when it comes to oysters, I want them paired with American lagers. When I'm finished eating, I'll smoke my pipe.
Al, you need to get a set of those knives. You have to get at least two.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Octopus is good, too. I'm talking about from a tin like the smoked oysters. I haven't had it in other ways.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Damn Al! Those look great.....here in Ohio, the oysters are OK at best....... :cry:

I was in the Outer Banks once and had some of the best in my life, same with New Orleans..... I've yet to get up on the Northern Atlantic shores though.... I hear those are the best. love that SD shirt too Man!!!.... :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG2seugAgnU

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A pro oyster shucker is a joy to watch. Most of them have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs!
Some use short knives with curved blades, but others are like what Al posted- the "Rusty's" knife.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
With smoked oysters I want me some Tennessee White Whiskey to drink. They go really well together. Just don't over do it or you will pay the next day! Don't ask me just how I know. I really thought I was dead that morning!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I did find a less expensive oyster knife and ordered one for the pending son-in-law. I had his name engraved on it and as a goof, the name we mistakenly called him early on. The knife was just plain, unstained wood. I sanded it smooth, stained it and applied a few coats of carnuba wax on the pipe buffer. It looks a lot better (His name is Jack, we called him Jake early on and still do as a goof). He got a kick out of the knife.
11904690_1188850824464244_6558589908818179557_n.jpg

11885166_1188850864464240_2679627780180386224_n.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
As to mixing with tobacco, I find that it takes way too long to dry the oysters down to a smokeable state!

I knew it would be there in the posts somewhere! Love it!

I was thinking they would be hard to keep lit myself.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
We have a place on the bay side of the Eastern Shore of Virginia (look that up; it is WAY down the Delmarva peninsula just above the Bay-Bridge-Tunnel). The oysters are either Bay side or Sea side. The latter are always saltier and are better with pipe tobacco, so I am guessing that the salinity is important for the taste combination...

Status
Not open for further replies.