PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I've been listening to the hobbit on my iPhone all through todays 13 hour extra work day (Big OT check will be used on some pad/tad). It occurs to me that I'd like to blow smoke rings while puffing my pipe. I made an attempt this evening when I got home and had questionable results. Does anyone else blow smoke rings, and do you have any pointers?
Edit: check me out I'm yellow!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
LOL, it does take some practice, but then again I have been smoking for 30yrs. Take big puff, close off throat, lower bottom jaw, lock in place, circle mouth, while holding lower jaw stiff move it quickly in an upward movement(similiar to a snap) practice, practice, practice. I am sure there are other ways, but this works best for me. It sounds more difficult and in depth than it is.
Congrats on the promotion!

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Took me a while to get the hang of it. Just keep on practicing and you'll figure it out. I use my tongue to push out the smoke, but just like everything else you just have to find what works for you.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I do it all the time, I think im ok at it now, look up some vids on youtube, there are several methods, and I actually learned more from videos by hookah smokers (hope im not breaking a rule there)
Just takes practice

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Instead of the "jaw snap" I force the smoke from my mouth with my tongue. Same basic principle, though. The constant in most methods is holding the smoke in your mouth then quickly forcing it out with your lips in the shape of an O. You can close your jaw, use the tongue like me or open the glottis in the back of your throat, letting a short burst of air through in a semi cough (think of cracking the valve on a steam pipe).
Yes, the hookah videos are quite helpful in getting the form right.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Sometimes it helps to have an image in your mind when you start.
Try this. It might help.

81471677_5d3d5dcaaf.jpg

Edit - Just look at the smoke rings.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I do them almost every time I smoke. They take a while to get a hang of but now I can do them 3-4 different ways. My advise is not to puff very hard because that is a pretty common mistake.

Jul 15, 2011
I try to blow smoke rings every now and again, and I am getting better at it, but 9 times out of 10 they come out looking more like smoke trapezoids or smoke oblongs :mrgreen:

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
I can only blow smoke rings two ways the way nsfisher describes it and the way baron describes it, at the end with the slight blowing of air, any other way I try doesn't really work though practice helps.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I use the lower jaw snap too but like nsfisher, been doing it for years...you will get it... :P

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
Just keep practicing and you will get it then remember how you did it..........

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I started smoking cigarettes a couple years ago and got going with those.

No I can do it with any smoke. I make a circle with my lips, pull my tongue back and with short bursts of air I twitch my tongue forward a tad and out comes a ring of smoke!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I looked at the image and forgot what the thread is about. Thanks Philip.

Just think what she looks like now.... :rofl:
I can do it but not with any frequency. I think I must be doing the 'jaw-snap' thing, but I'm not sure. More practice.
-Jason

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
Grandpaw used to have us kids tap his cheek to get smoke rings I can blow them all 3 ways jaw, tounge, and tap cheek . the cheek method I can machine gun mutiple rings

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
NsFisher has the right of it. For some reason I've always been able to do it, but never able to explain it properly.

Well done, Sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.