PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
When I was in the Army, there were several phases of smoke that we went through. As privates, we got smoked constantly, for doing the kind of dumb stuff that privates always do. After some maturity, authority, and rank, I started being the one administering the smokings. After yet more seasoning, I got to the point where I would direct others to administer the smokings. At that point, I could pop smoke, and not have to be part of the smoke sessions any more. There were times where we'd smoke those soldiers in a room called "the hot box", and it'd get so smokey the walls would sweat.
A great practical joke would be to make the new cats go take exhaust samples off the hmmwv tailpipe, or even worse, off a Bradley exhaust. If that was going down, the driver would certainly start up the smoke generator and asphyxiate the poor bastards, good times.
A real bummer was having to monitor the burn pit, or stir the burn ****ters. That's the kind of smoke you best not inhale, especially when you hear the bugs poppin'.
Boy does this bring back memories! I think the only smoke you left out was the smoking you got when your DS caught you smoking.

This Saturday I'll be smoking some chicken and sausages. Chances are incredibly high I'll be smoking a pipe while smoking my meats. And if my speakers get here by them, you can bet me and my neighbors will be listening to Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (Live). That's about the best I can do right now.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Boy does this bring back memories! I think the only smoke you left out was the smoking you got when your DS caught you smoking.

This Saturday I'll be smoking some chicken and sausages. Chances are incredibly high I'll be smoking a pipe while smoking my meats. And if my speakers get here by them, you can bet me and my neighbors will be listening to Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (Live). That's about the best I can do right now.
After meatsmokefest, maybe watch some Smokey and the Bandit and have a diablo sandwich for old times sake. Talk about that trip to the Smoky mountains, whenever we can all get over to that side of the country. Fireflies don't really get smoky, but they are in that neck of the woods. Have a chat with Smokey the bear, and then head down to Knoxville and visit Smokey the dog. I'm tapped out!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't smell smoke. Not that I'm not trying. No smokey smell from any blends I've tried. Heard so many times lat is like campfire. BS. It's not like campfire. If campfire smells like lat, there would be a band of Big Foot invading every campsite to chew on the blazing logs. And I like good volume of smoke, and do puff once in awhile, but mostly little more than wisp of smoke out of my nose or mouth. Big cloud is fun to watch, but doesn't do much for flavor.

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Well first of all, its good to meet all you guys. Second, I don't know why you let my dumbass brother take you all down this smokey path....I have always found its better not to encourage him...

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Well first of all, its good to meet all you guys. Second, I don't know why you let my dumbass brother take you all down this smokey path....I have always found its better not to encourage him...
Hahahaha Hey bro. I'm sure this is the stupidest thread in the forum, but these good natured guys have made the best of it, maybe just to make a newbie feel smokey, whatever that means. It's been fun.

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
I tend to associate smoke with wet or unseasoned wood burning.

As to my pipe makings, there is some smoke when lighting , but very little otherwise. Retrohaling for me is an almost non existent draw, just slow breathing.
This is good to know because I am not getting much smoke (relative to cigars) except when I light. Thought I was doing it wrong maybe... Now I am beginning to think they totally faked this

1620131374807.png

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
This is good to know because I am not getting much smoke (relative to cigars) except when I light. Thought I was doing it wrong maybe... Now I am beginning to think they totally faked this

View attachment 78332
The old say is where there is smoke there is fire, but sometimes it’s just smoldering material until O2 is added.

I was advices to “sip”. Honestly, I don’t want a lot of smoke. If I can taste, I’m okay.

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
There seems at times to be a sentiment here that the “proper” way to smoke a pipe is to have virtually NO smoke noticeable ever.

My take on the subject is that...... both “virtually no smoke” smoking sessions..... and “voluminous” smoking sessions have their value and place. I happen to do both.... so my opinion should probably not come as a surprise. ?

For me, the “virtually no smoke” sessions arise when I tend to be feeling more quiet and contemplative. And, for me, the “voluminous” sessions arise more when I am active, doing something more action oriented, often outdoors, or talking a lot.

For me, both are enjoyable.... in different ways.
Do you find that smoke volume is just according to how you smoke? Or also the tobacco / pipe choices?