Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ragin Cajun

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2021
New iberia, LA
What causes pipe tobaco to smell and taste like perfuem or scented soap. both blends are Sutliffe; one is its Black Cavendish. The other is something called Black Kathy. Any ideas?

Reactions: mingc

PipeyPiper

Lurker
Nov 4, 2021
Switzerland
Stay away, very away, from Lakelands then.
From this source: Lakeland tobacco – A Pipe Smoker's Journal - https://pipesmokersjournal.wordpress.com/tag/lakeland-tobacco/

Lakeland tobaccos (traditionally produced in the English Lake District) are defined by a floral element, in this case Rose and Geranium, and are classically presented in the Flake or Plug format. Grasmere is an excellent example of a savoury Lakeland, with no sweetness added in the form of casing or topping. Its best-selling contemporary, Ennerdale Flake, is sweeter and equally worthy of your attention if you wish to delve further into the realms of Lakelands.

I dont get any of this in my Samuel Gawith tobacco. In fact, I just went and sniffed (glorious, GLORIOUS sniff test) my Skiff Mixture, Balkan Flake and FVF and got no traces of said perfume or soap. Just pure, unadulterated, glorious tobacco. I do get hints of sandalwood incense in Skiff but only when smoked.
No soap or flowers here.
Is my nose on right? Lol

Reactions: Frasermac and mingc

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
From this source: Lakeland tobacco – A Pipe Smoker's Journal - https://pipesmokersjournal.wordpress.com/tag/lakeland-tobacco/

Lakeland tobaccos (traditionally produced in the English Lake District) are defined by a floral element, in this case Rose and Geranium, and are classically presented in the Flake or Plug format. Grasmere is an excellent example of a savoury Lakeland, with no sweetness added in the form of casing or topping. Its best-selling contemporary, Ennerdale Flake, is sweeter and equally worthy of your attention if you wish to delve further into the realms of Lakelands.

I dont get any of this in my Samuel Gawith tobacco. In fact, I just went and sniffed (glorious, GLORIOUS sniff test) my Skiff Mixture, Balkan Flake and FVF and got no traces of said perfume or soap. Just pure, unadulterated, glorious tobacco. I do get hints of sandalwood incense in Skiff but only when smoked.
No soap or flowers here.
Is my nose on right? Lol
Your nose is on right; you don't have the right blends. A couple are mentioned in your quote.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I remember my first introduction to Lakeland blends back in the mid-1970s. Don’t remember what it was but it reminded me of when my grandmother shoved a bar of her bath soap in my mouth.
These days, I actually like many of the Lakeland blends I’ve smoked.

• Haha
Reactions: Frasermac and mingc

PipeyPiper

Lurker
Nov 4, 2021
Switzerland
It's always a relief for me to hear from someone who doesn't like scented tobaccos and even more of a relief if that person says, hand on their heart, that they won't be hoarding any. ?
Hey now, I never had my hand on my heart. But now I am interested. After a few disapointments with some Cornell and Diehl blends, I have sworn off any flavored, scauced, or "scented" tobaccos. But maybe I am wrong......... so what is a good "lakeland" blend as a first? Don't worry about me hoarding any. Despite my continued efforts to buy out as much Skiff and Balkan Flake as possible, my local B&M just puts more on the shelf. My efforts here, go unnoticed. I am in Europe so the availability seems to be never ending, which is a very good thing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mingc

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Hey now, I never had my hand on my heart. But now I am interested. After a few disapointments with some Cornell of Diehl blends, I have sworn off any flavored, scauced, or "scented" tobaccos. But maybe I am wrong......... so what is a good "lakeland" blend as a first? Don't worry about me hoarding any. Despite my continued efforts to buy out as much Skiff and Balkan Flake as possible, my local B&M just puts more on the shelf. My efforts here, goes unnoticed. I am in Europe so the availability seems to be never ending, which is a very good thing.
The king of Lakeland’s is Ennerdale, simply beautiful ?
Grasmere and Kendal flakes are gentler, but many of GH and SG feature the signature scent

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It’s time someone linked @jaytex1969’s definitive guide to Lakeland saucing thread, can’t do it from the phone.
The key to Lakelands is what we call “managing expectations” in my line of work: if you go to Ennerdale expecting a “clean” Virginia, or a hot air chemical cherry Cavendish you’ll revolt, if you go expecting a very interesting, unusual, and strong sauce on top of top quality, strong tobacco you may get as hooked as the rest of us. Or you may not, at least you’ll have gained valuable experience, and won’t lump them as “Lakelands”.

Bob’s choc flake and Conniston Cut Plug are good entry-level blends, but simply lumping them all as “Lakelands” is just wrong, they are very different from each other.
All that talk of grandma’s underwear, bathmats and soap are hogwash as they’s say in Blighty.

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
Just a wild guess but I’m pretty sure grandma underwear doesn’t smell like rose geranium nor heliotrope. When i read some reviews about Lakeland blend that been toss in the trash it make me uncomfortable ?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Bobs choc flake is the entry I reckon...they all have their own merits, but Bobs is great for having a subtle soap alongside more familiar chocolate/cocoa and latakia.

Reactions: karam