PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Disgraceful, wastrel barbarians!! I noticed the "pipes" looked more like measuring cups though... but still.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an inlaw who is a student at Rutgers. Maybe he can slip past this ritual. Sharp kid, inclined freshman year to major in statistics, which might limit his job competition. I knew a Ph.D. statistician in medical research who could turn aside a whole room full of scientists when he pinned down the data analysis. He was soft spoken but really knew his statistical analysis, and whole rooms full of experts would fall silent and cease and desist once he'd spoken. Interesting to see. He was kind of the absentminded professor; you couldn't get him to say hello if you tripped him in the hall -- his brain was doing its calculations.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
I am currently a Graduate student at Rutgers University-Camden. I did not plan on walking, but if I were, and if this tradition was in place at my branch of the University, I would smoke the pipe, and then pocket it...

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Those clay "pipes" definitely are ceremonial and don't look like you could actually smoke them. I know the professor in the video said that they found a potter that could make them, but they looked like they were still more raw clay than ceramic to me. They may have been fired, but if they were, they must have been fired at a very low temperature. I wouldn't expect that there would be as much dust with a true bisque fired clay pipe which would be more ceramic in nature. I expect that they may have done that on purpose as it could be a little dangerous for the graduates to be smashing actual bisque fired clay pipes as the shards from those could be fairly sharp and make for some dangerous projectiles as they bounced off the cannon.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I saw a TV news spot about that on the news one night...... I guess the pipes were made by a local pottery factory as inexpensively as possible and to call them pipes would say they were pipe shaped and far from a smokeing product. They showed a couple of them in the broadcast and they looked more like a small clay horn, unglazed and roughly finished, then any smoking pipe I've ever seen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Apparently people don't remember what a tobacco pipe looks like anymore. I think this is like breaking wine glasses at weddings, just a happy ritual, no reflection or disparagement of wine-drinking, which most people do happily and to excess at weddings.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Coda:
If you'd make the walk I'd be honored to send you a used clay pipe to smash and a good one to pocket.
One of my kiddos graduated from the University of Kansas last year and made that very important walk, down the hill, through the WWI dedicated Campanile, to peel off before the mass graduation ceremony and join us back home for a well deserved gathering of family and friends.
Bub, he's going to have those moments for the rest of his life. I'd like for you to have the same.
PM sent.
Fnord

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It should be noted that no Real Clay Pipes were harmed during the recording of the video.
From what I understand the smashing of the Clay Pipes was an old tradition where the graduates would smoke the clay pipes one last time before graduation and then smash them. That would lead me to assume it was a ceremonial moving on to "better" things like briar or meerschaum pipes now that they had graduated and could get productive jobs.
What is in the video is symbolic of that time only. Let's face it, the youth of today are not like the youth at the turn of the 19th century. I doubt many of those graduating will rush to defend this country if an actual war was declared.

Status
Not open for further replies.