PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My pipe came today and it’s some kind of composite plastic that sort of resembles briar.

It’s of the same category as The Pipe and Brylon.

Whatever it’s made of it does allow a cake to form in the chamber.

Let me clean this up and see how it smokes.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Reminds me of a visit I made to Whole Foods a couple of decades ago. I was fixing dinner for some friends and thought I'd up the quality. I walked up to the butchers' counter to buy a couple of chickens to roast. They had signs promoting their new line of "smart chickens" which were priced at an extra dollar or so per pound.
The butcher came over and I had the following exchange:

Me: "What's a smart chicken?"

Butcher: "They're a special kind of chicken that's lived in an oxygen enriched atmosphere which makes them smarter."

Me: "They're headless! How smart could they be?"

Butcher: No reply because he's working to stifle a laugh

Me: "Seriously, they're just as dead as the dumb chickens. Fat lot of good all that oxygen did them."

Butcher: Seriously unable to reply as he's laughing. Finally he says, "So do you want to buy a smart chicken? They're very popular with our customers."

Me: Studying the rows of recently deceased intellectually enhanced poultry. "So it's basically bullshit?"

Butcher: Looking around to make sure the manager isn't within earshot, "Yep, total bullshit. People are buying them like there's no tomorrow."

Me: "I've always admired smarts. You know how smart I am? I'm buying the dumb chickens!"

And I did.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Some preliminary impressions:

These are better looking than The Pipe. They had to be moulded, but the pipe from arm’s length appears to be rusticated briar. The stems are very nice.

I washed it in the sink and then reamed it and cleaned it all up with Everclear and pipe cleaners. Then I tried a black cavendish.

Briar, meerschaum and cobs are all porous to varying degrees, and are insulators to some degree.

Smart Bruyere is an excellent insulator, and I think it’s almost impervious to moisture.

The pipe isn’t hot in your hands, but the smoke stream is stronger somehow than other pipes. Tobacco tastes differently.

Let me smoke it some more before I pass judgement.

Reactions: kcghost

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Reminds me of a visit I made to Whole Foods a couple of decades ago. I was fixing dinner for some friends and thought I'd up the quality. I walked up to the butchers' counter to buy a couple of chickens to roast. They had signs promoting their new line of "smart chickens" which were priced at an extra dollar or so per pound.
The butcher came over and I had the following exchange:

Me: "What's a smart chicken?"

Butcher: "They're a special kind of chicken that's lived in an oxygen enriched atmosphere which makes them smarter."

Me: "They're headless! How smart could they be?"

Butcher: No reply because he's working to stifle a laugh

Me: "Seriously, they're just as dead as the dumb chickens. Fat lot of good all that oxygen did them."

Butcher: Seriously unable to reply as he's laughing. Finally he says, "So do you want to buy a smart chicken? They're very popular with our customers."

Me: Studying the rows of recently deceased intellectually enhanced poultry. "So it's basically bullshit?"

Butcher: Looking around to make sure the manager isn't within earshot, "Yep, total bullshit. People are buying them like there's no tomorrow."

Me: "I've always admired smarts. You know how smart I am? I'm buying the dumb chickens!"

And I did.
The chicken is smart like the rabbit that lost its foot is lucky.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
the lucky rabbits foot comes from the believe that it was actually a witch who had turned into a bunny. And having her foot would protect you from other witches. Or in other words life can be extremely random and capricious especially when humans get involved.
Say what?! Well, I guess It's easier to carry a dried up foot of a rabbit than one from a witch. Can you image the size of that keychain?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I was expecting to see some cluster fuck of a pipe with a USB port and a small screen for selecting smoke modes.

Thankfully, the technocrats have not breached our kingdom yet.... ?

1635385828780.jpeg

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
An update on my Smart Bruyere.

It turns our these were made of some kind of powdered briar and resin, cast or molded into a pipe. I reamed all the cake out and started smoking it, and at the bottom of the chamber it had a briar taste. After a few bowls it broke in , and while it’s my ugliest pipe, it’s a good, cool, smoker, which surprised me.

I’m leaving this one in the glove compartment of my Yamaha Rhino. If I drop it or lose it, I’ve not lost much.

Part of the fun of accumulating pipes is oddballs like this.

I can run around in my Rhino with a pipe full of Carter Hall and not worry about burn out, and it’s an excellent smoker,

It’s an improvement over Brylon and The Pipe, in my opinion.