PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I am interested in a long list of tobacco blends but do not want a ton of jars hanging around in my closet. 3/4 of my cellar is just jars of blends that do not trip my trigger. Don’t have space or time for that crazy. So does anyone out there know of a place that will send out small samples of different blends to try. Maybe enough for two or three bowls would be great. Another reason to be a member of a pipe smoking club. I could get rid of all the just “OK” blends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
One option you have is to list some blends in the Tobacco Sell/Swap/Search thread and see if other members want to trade samples. I have traded/swapped samples with other members a few times.

Postage costs were low due to the small amount being shipped.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
One option you have is to list some blends in the Tobacco Sell/Swap/Search thread and see if other members want to trade samples. I have traded/swapped samples with other members a few times.

Postage costs were low due to the small amount being shipped.
I have traded pipes for tobacco before. This was before I was able to post to Sell/Swap thread. It was awesome. I just need to know if I like the blend before I order enough to jar. I prefer to get bulk blends. I have a box of empty tins in my closet that I need to do something with. What states can I not ship things into? Maybe Florida and Washington. Any others that are problematic?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There are some on line retailers that sell a number of blends in one ounce increments. Unfortunately, I know of no way to get smaller increments of tinned blends. Why don't you buy 5 to 10, try them. Offer the ones you don't care for in trade. Or give them away.

I've found what I like primarily by purchasing and smoking. In general, you can't judge a blend on a couple of bowls anyway. MB Vanilla Roll Cake great example. First couple of bowls, just tolerable. Half way through the 100 gr tin, loving it.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
There are some on line retailers that sell a number of blends in one ounce increments. Unfortunately, I know of no way to get smaller increments of tinned blends. Why don't you buy 5 to 10, try them. Offer the ones you don't care for in trade. Or give them away.

I've found what I like primarily by purchasing and smoking. In general, you can't judge a blend on a couple of bowls anyway. MB Vanilla Roll Cake great example. First couple of bowls, just tolerable. Half way through the 100 gr tin, loving it.
I am trying to prevent from becoming a hoarder of tobacco. I already have hoarding problems of other things. I can tell by the second bowl. Doing the same thing but expecting different outcomes each time is too close to crazy for me.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I am trying to prevent from becoming a hoarder of tobacco. I already have hoarding problems of other things. I can tell by the second bowl. Doing the same thing but expecting different outcomes each time is too close to crazy for me.

1) Uff da. If you're trying to not become a hoarder, pipes (and cigars for that matter) are not a good hobby to get into. Especially once you get into limited editions, blends that age well, and those up for discontinuation, it makes sense to cellar from a procurement and financial standpoint.

2) Hoosier's advice is solid - a couple bowls is a fair run at some blends (such as straight virginias), but not others (multi-leafed blends). Why not buy a few tins here and there and work through them? Between that and trading for samples, you'll have new favorites in time.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A tin is just a sample size. It's just enough to see if you need more or not. My advice is to stick to what you like. If you've already tried a bunch and only some really trip your trigger I'd stick with the ones I like. I could be misreading the situation terribly but it sounds like you're very particular about what you like. I'd say not to buy another tin or oz until something really grabs your attention and you feel like you have to know if it's a worthwhile buy.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you think you can tell by the second bowl, have a happy. I can tell, in most cases, if I absolutely abhor a blend by the first or second bowl. For that matter, I've emptied out a few Lakeland blends before making it more than 2/3 of the way through the bowl. But I've seen numerous blends I'm happy I didn't give up on after the first couple of bowls.

I'm also struggling how you define having 20 to 40 tins as hoarding. That's 80 oz max which is 5 lb. I suppose it's all in your perspective. But it's your money and therefore, your perspective.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Like hoosierpipeguy said, your best bet would probably be to buy some sampler packs from some retailers that offer them. There are retailers that have samplers that will contain 1oz of 4-6 different blends which is perfect for sampling.

You won't find any retailer that will give out free samples anymore because there was a federal law passed some years ago that makes it illegal to give out free samples of tobacco. Before the law passed, it was common to be able to get small samples in your order or from manufacturers. But those days are gone.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
1) Uff da. If you're trying to not become a hoarder, pipes (and cigars for that matter) are not a good hobby to get into. Especially once you get into limited editions, blends that age well, and those up for discontinuation, it makes sense to cellar from a procurement and financial standpoint.

2) Hoosier's advice is solid - a couple bowls is a fair run at some blends (such as straight virginias), but not others (multi-leafed blends). Why not buy a few tins here and there and work through them? Between that and trading for samples, you'll have new favorites in time.
1). I used to smoke cigars but the quality of them was so poor that I stopped. The one cigar that I liked is impossible to find now. My taste in pipe tobacco can not be swayed by the New Kid in Town advertising. I am immune to that disease. It helps that I smoke about once a week. I have enough pipes to have a two week rotation. I have had several high demand blends but traded them away. Did not have enough flavor for me. Goodbye Frog.
2). I can tell if a blend is worth my time after three bowls. Not looking for super complex blends. I am not that kind of guy. Hence why all my pipes are work horses and nothing to “flex” about except a crazy extra Churchwarden made of Meerschaum. Still unsmoked. The idea that any business would depend on my patronage to stay afloat is laughable. I did that collecting comic books and now have a mountain of boxes full of them taking up room. It comes down to the fact that I am too old to have things that do not bring joy to me around. Not old enough to yell at kids to get off my lawn but a good starter grumpy old guy.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I am interested in a long list of tobacco blends but do not want a ton of jars hanging around in my closet. 3/4 of my cellar is just jars of blends that do not trip my trigger. Don’t have space or time for that crazy. So does anyone out there know of a place that will send out small samples of different blends to try. Maybe enough for two or three bowls would be great. Another reason to be a member of a pipe smoking club. I could get rid of all the just “OK” blends.
sounds like a good idea for a company - doesn't make sense shipping wise though

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
1). I used to smoke cigars but the quality of them was so poor that I stopped. The one cigar that I liked is impossible to find now. My taste in pipe tobacco can not be swayed by the New Kid in Town advertising. I am immune to that disease. It helps that I smoke about once a week. I have enough pipes to have a two week rotation. I have had several high demand blends but traded them away. Did not have enough flavor for me. Goodbye Frog.
2). I can tell if a blend is worth my time after three bowls. Not looking for super complex blends. I am not that kind of guy. Hence why all my pipes are work horses and nothing to “flex” about except a crazy extra Churchwarden made of Meerschaum. Still unsmoked. The idea that any business would depend on my patronage to stay afloat is laughable. I did that collecting comic books and now have a mountain of boxes full of them taking up room. It comes down to the fact that I am too old to have things that do not bring joy to me around. Not old enough to yell at kids to get off my lawn but a good starter grumpy old guy.
what was your goto cigar - what pipe blends do you like?

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
A tin is just a sample size. It's just enough to see if you need more or not. My advice is to stick to what you like. If you've already tried a bunch and only some really trip your trigger I'd stick with the ones I like. I could be misreading the situation terribly but it sounds like you're very particular about what you like. I'd say not to buy another tin or oz until something really grabs your attention and you feel like you have to know if it's a worthwhile buy.
Thank you. I am very careful with new things. I have a very well defined sense of value. You may like it but that does not mean I will. Do your thing be a chicken wing.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
what was your goto cigar - what pipe blends do you like?
My go to cigar was a vanilla flavored and I would buy them by the box. My pipe blends are all over the place. I have a large jar of a good English so I am set there. I like the dreaded Aromatics but only the European blends It would seem. Big wet goopy takes too long to dry out. I can not plan that far out for a smoke. Yes I have several jars of blends that need a new home but my tobacco hoarding makes it not easy. I may have a crazy rare blend that someone wants dearly. I have found for cheap a large tin of Borkum Riff from the middle sixties. Incredible and smooth.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Reactions: Tennessee Dave

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most online retailers who sell bulk will sell as little as an ounce, which is plenty to sample six/eight/ten or whatever blends. Forums members have been hugely generous offering samples. A business envelope usually carries several bowls flat enough to go on one stamp.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Most online retailers who sell bulk will sell as little as an ounce, which is plenty to sample six/eight/ten or whatever blends. Forums members have been hugely generous offering samples. A business envelope usually carries several bowls flat enough to go on one stamp.
That may work for me. Anybody interested?

Jun 9, 2018
England
I can normally tell from the first couple of bowls whether I'm gonna like a blend or not but that isn't always the case.
Ennerdale would be a good example, I bought 50g and after smelling it then having my first bowl full I thought I'd never get through it all. Then I had a couple more bowls and started to like it more and more. By the end of the 50g I absolutely adored the stuff and immediately ordered some more.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Another strategy may be to post the blends that you like here and ask others to provide suggestions for similar blends.

If you know exactly what it is that you like about the blends that you like, you can look for others like them.

The problem will be that your tastes may change.

Reactions: SoddenJack
Status
Not open for further replies.