Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
While smoking my Ligne Bretagne on New Years I was thinking about the more petite French pipes, I only have two, but really appreciate them. How about others? Comment and post pictures of your favorites. Mine are
Ligne Bretagne
BC Cleo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a few -- Chacom, BC, Genod. One favorite is a little Chacom yacht I bought several years ago. The bowl walls are thin, so sometimes I hold the shank instead of the bowl, but it gives a good smoke. EWA, sold mostly by Iwan Ries I think, makes some good little pipes for around forty bucks, little churchwardens and some shorter stem pipes, but proper quality and good little cookers. The French pipe making community has admirable pride in their products and always seem above their price point in quality, both craftsmanship and design. The French were the original users of briar, and their design inspired most of what we think of as classic English shapes. French pipes are generally well made and fine looking, to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipes that small find no use with me. A chamber 1.75" (44.45mm) deep is the bottom end of my scale. My regular pipes range from group 4 up to magnum sized chambers.

Reactions: danimalia

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Here's one for you, Cap'n:

decorative_corn_cob_pipe_2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I have a few very small pipes that I really like, but this one's my fav. It's an Iwan Reis pipe stamped made in France, not sure by whom. The chamber is .65 X 1.3. My first pipe, and a gift from my wife, so it has sentimental meaning AND it smokes great. For some reason, Fillmore tastes phenomenal in it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
A medium sized bowl (say, 1.5" x .75") will last me one to two hours depending on the tobacco. I still have a bit of a hang-up regarding chamber sizes and wanting them to be around the above size, but I'm getting a lot more tolerant of smaller chambers. In terms of asthetics and overall dimensions, I'm already onboard as I prefer a more humble and modest-sized pipe, with a few exceptions.

I have my eye on some of the Ropp Vintages, as well as some BCs. I like to picture myself sitting at some cafe in Paris, smoking some Semois in a BC, drinking cafe au lait. Romantic shit!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I actually like smaller pipes with smaller chambers for smoking different types of tobacco. Some tobaccos just perform better in a smaller chamber, for my taste. Here’s a few of my smaller pipes:
Starting from the left is a pipe I’ve dubbed “The worlds smallest Castello”, then a Savinelli Punto Oro, 4015 Dublin and an HS Studio Pencil Shank Billiard. I can barely fit my pinky into any of these chambers, but they all smoke beautifully none the less. And with proper cadence, I can get a 1/2 hour smoke from each.

This is why I call the first pipe the worlds smallest Castello:
It looks like the carver at the Castello factory was day dreaming and forgot to stop carving the bowl. After he was done, this is all that was left. ? I love her anyway...147051470614707

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I actually like smaller pipes with smaller chambers for smoking different types of tobacco. Some tobaccos just perform better in a smaller chamber, for my taste. Here’s a few of my smaller pipes:
View attachment 14705
Starting from the left is a pipe I’ve dubbed “The worlds smallest Castello”, then a Savinelli Punto Oro, 4015 Dublin and an HS Studio Pencil Shank Billiard. I can barely fit my pinky into any of these chambers, but they all smoke beautifully none the less. And with proper cadence, I can get a 1/2 hour smoke from each.

This is why I call the first pipe the worlds smallest Castello:
View attachment 14706
View attachment 14707
It looks like the carver at the Castello factory was day dreaming and forgot to stop carving the bowl. After he was done, this is all that was left. ? I love her anyway...View attachment 14705View attachment 14706View attachment 14707
That's pretty neat. I want a Castello, but one thing that puts me off about them is their cavernous bowls.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an Iwan Ries house pipe, about a Group 3, a smooth bent billiard, almost an Oom-Paul, made during the era when there house pipes were made by Benton with Algerian briar. It's stamped Iwan Ries and is a good little cooker. I have other likely Bentons from the period in full and large sizes. Related to the French pipe thread, today's Iwan Ries house pipes are made by the French maker Genod.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.