PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Please capitalize important words, as well as proper names. (Pipe make, tobacco brand, etc.)

Hello. I got a new Stanwell deLuxe pipe. I have it in its box for 3 days. Today I saw in the bowl (inside), a small crack (looks like hole). It's not big, and it may not be something serious. Maybe it's in the coating, and not the wood. I do not know how deep it is. I do not know how deep it is. Maybe less than 1mm.

But I'm a little worried, maybe it 's a small problem. I do not want to give it back. I want to keep it, and smoke it normally, and let the cake build.

I would just like some opinions. What do you think?

Sorry for my bad English.IMG_20211128_012849.jpgIMG_20211128_013056.jpgIMG_20211128_013501.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
This is just me personally, I remove bowl coatings on all my pipes. To me they smoke better.
I have heard this from others as well. Because it is my first pipe, I say leave the coating. I was just worried about this little crack, and that it would lead to a burn pipe.

Reactions: FurCoat

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Hello. I got a new stanwell de luxe pipe. I have it in its box for 3 days. Today I saw in the bowl (inside), a small crack (looks like hole). It's not big, and it may not be something serious. Maybe it's in the coating, and not the wood. I do not know how deep it is. I do not know how deep it is. Maybe less than 1mm.

But I'm a little worried, maybe it 's a small problem. I do not want to give it back. I want to keep it, and smoke it normally, and let the cake build.

I would just like some opinions. What do you think?

Sorry for my bad English.View attachment 111272View attachment 111273View attachment 111274
I would just smoke it easy at first and let the cake fill in the spot. It doesn’t look like it’s likely to cause a problem, my opinion of course.

Reactions: john19

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have heard this from others as well. Because it is my first pipe, I say leave the coating. I was just worried about this little crack, and that it would lead to a burn pipe.
I get it, it's a personal choice or should I say quirk. I think the pipe is fine, just a nick in the coating. Fire that sucker up. ?

Reactions: john19