Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Okay, after much debate I've decided I have to post this question.

At times when I'm smoking and I near the end of the bowl I can hear the tobacco sizzling. Is this normal? Or is it evidence of being packed wrongly or of a fast cadence?

Also, is it bad on a pipe?

Thanks in advance.

-Tim

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I get a sizzle sometimes, and it’s usually from the tobacco being a touch too moist. Happens to me with flakes most often. As you smoke, the moisture sweats out of the tobacco and collects at the bottom of the bowl. I just shove a cleaner down through the shank to soak up what I can, and continue on. It’s not gonna wreck a pipe. No worries!

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Lifes to short to smoke bad tobacco. If it sizzles to much won't stay lit or starts tasting bad dump it out and load another pipe. Little bit is nbd in my opinion. Some people are concerned with getting every puff out of a pipe no matter how bad it goes lol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I rarely get a sizzle. It has happened, but not enough for me to diagnose and correct it. I think chasing' mentioned key components. Drying tobacco, from an hour to a day or two, usually improves a smoke.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Maybe it's your pipe's "You're smoking dottle! Stop now!!" built-in alarm. Just toss the dottle. Or put the pipe down and let some of the moisture evaporate.

Do note that even with dried tobacco the combustion will still create moisture that will subsequently accumulate in the heel. Atmospheric conditions play a role too.

Do note too that drying aromatics too much will make them lose flavour: might as well smoke cardboard then... or an English blend.