PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
So I just cracked a tin of Sixpence, one of my favorite GLPs...and was a little stunned that the boozy top note was nowhere to be found. Not even a hint of a hint. That, really, was my favorite part!

Now, I understand the nature of top notes...they dissipate with time and exposure etc...but I jarred my last tin of Sixpence and dipped into it fairly often over three years and that wonderful scent was still there, years later. To pop a fresh tin and find nothing has me wondering if the boys at C&D maybe forgot a step! Tin is dated just before Christmas, 2019. The blend tastes ok for missing the booze, the tobacco is in good condition and moist, but shit...I spent $12...

Maybe my first tin was the accident and had some extra topping?

Reactions: ofafeather

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
So I just cracked a tin of Sixpence, one of my favorite GLPs...and was a little stunned that the boozy top note was nowhere to be found. Not even a hint of a hint. That, really, was my favorite part!

Now, I understand the nature of top notes...they dissipate with time and exposure etc...but I jarred my last tin of Sixpence and dipped into it fairly often over three years and that wonderful scent was still there, years later. To pop a fresh tin and find nothing has me wondering if the boys at C&D maybe forgot a step! Tin is dated just before Christmas, 2019. The blend tastes ok for missing the booze, the tobacco is in good condition and moist, but shit...I spent $12...

Maybe my first tin was the accident and had some extra topping?
I never got the booze topping on that one.......... smoked about six tins.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Well, after reading these responses it seems like maybe my first tin had some extra topping...because it was very apparent and noticeable, really the characterizing element of the blend. The new tin is still a good smoke, but not the Sixpence I remember...

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I love most of Gregs blends but never tried 6-pence yet. The few times I looked it was out of stock. And I'm not a "loyal member" to anyone who sells it. Maybe I'll check the Underground Scalpers Association. Or China.

I just noticed Laudisis (spell?) name is on GLP blend tins. Is this new ? I've never noticed that. Isn't that the same guy/corp/whatever who took over Peterson? He was posting on here from time to time. I wonder if C&D are still mixing his blends.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
It smells of booze to me, but I have become super sensitive to the smell of alcohol since I quit drinking. I can smell a flask in a man's pocket from a half mile if the wind is right.

You and me both! It's been funny with all the hand sanitizer floating around.

At work we have bottles of hand sanitizer all over the place , several of them from different manufacturers so there is a variety. I have heard co-workers say this one smells terrible, and this other one smells worse. I smell them and say that one smells like tequila, and this one smells like vodka. My mind jumps to the kind of liquor they smell like??

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.