PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Danimal92sport

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2024
Chicago USA
Rehydrated a small amount over several days. It took the moisture well, and no mold or other issues. Haven’t smoked it but might try it today.

However, I continue to be suspicious that this isn’t Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco, but rather something else that was added to the tin. Now that it’s rehydrated, the ‘tin note’ of the casing is much more pronounced and it’s a singular note - honey. Very one dimensional, maybe a bit of underlying tobacco mustiness, but a strong honey smell. From reviews, including JimInks review of tins dating back to the 1940s - I should be getting anise much like the modern SWR.

@JimInks - need some consultation. Based on your experience, is there any chance that 1940s (or possibly earlier, not sure) Sir Walter Raleigh could be giving me a honey tin note? Also, do these small flake sizes in the pic below seem like the older SWR blends you’ve seen?
IMG_2019.jpeg

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Rehydrated a small amount over several days. It took the moisture well, and no mold or other issues. Haven’t smoked it but might try it today.

However, I continue to be suspicious that this isn’t Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco, but rather something else that was added to the tin. Now that it’s rehydrated, the ‘tin note’ of the casing is much more pronounced and it’s a singular note - honey. Very one dimensional, maybe a bit of underlying tobacco mustiness, but a strong honey smell. From reviews, including JimInks review of tins dating back to the 1940s - I should be getting anise much like the modern SWR.

@JimInks - need some consultation. Based on your experience, is there any chance that 1940s (or possibly earlier, not sure) Sir Walter Raleigh could be giving me a honey tin note? Also, do these small flake sizes in the pic below seem like the older SWR blends you’ve seen?
View attachment 330621
It does look like the WWII SWR that I smoked. I don't remember a honey note, but it is possible it could have been subtly cased with it, and it came out when you rehydrated it. When you rehydrate antiquated blends, you never know what might appear flavor wise. Various years from dfferent decades of Capstan Blue taught me that. When I smoked the sample of WWII vintage, it was from a freshly opened tub, and I was surprised at how moist it was, and that the flavor I was used to had been retained, and even deeper than later years. I do think the sugar in the casing may be what is giving you the honey note, but I could be wrong, and perhaps it is sugary honey.

Danimal92sport

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2024
Chicago USA
It does look like the WWII SWR that I smoked. I don't remember a honey note, but it is possible it could have been subtly cased with it, and it came out when you rehydrated it. When you rehydrate antiquated blends, you never know what might appear flavor wise. Various years from dfferent decades of Capstan Blue taught me that. When I smoked the sample of WWII vintage, it was from a freshly opened tub, and I was surprised at how moist it was, and that the flavor I was used to had been retained, and even deeper than later years. I do think the sugar in the casing may be what is giving you the honey note, but I could be wrong, and perhaps it is sugary honey.
Thanks so much for your response! I’m excited to give this a try later this eve 😊

Reactions: JimInks

Danimal92sport

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2024
Chicago USA
The taste is very mild, but the sweet casing comes through the smoke. However, that might be about it. I think a lot of the typical notes I’d associate with burley, or frankly any tobacco, are long gone. There’s a nice aromatic note here on my porch - though it’s just a sweet, possibly molasses, note.

This was a fun experiment, though! And so far I’m still alive 🤣. The remainder of the contents will stay in the tin for a fun show n’ tell. I’m also posting this in the ‘opening a tin’ thread, even if that’s slightly bending the definition of opening - I bet this sucker has been open since long before I was born in 1982.

IMG_2048.jpegIMG_2049.jpeg

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
The taste is very mild, but the sweet casing comes through the smoke. However, that might be about it. I think a lot of the typical notes I’d associate with burley, or frankly any tobacco, are long gone. There’s a nice aromatic note here on my porch - though it’s just a sweet, possibly molasses, note.

This was a fun experiment, though! And so far I’m still alive 🤣. The remainder of the contents will stay in the tin for a fun show n’ tell. I’m also posting this in the ‘opening a tin’ thread, even if that’s slightly bending the definition of opening - I bet this sucker has been open since long before I was born in 1982.

View attachment 330719View attachment 330720
Never knew “sooner or later, your favorite tobacco” was ever their slogan. Learn something new just about every time on this forum!