Since It Is Baseball Time Again- Greatest Hitter Ever?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you look at the stats and take into account that he missed 4 years of his prime to do war plus another year for the Korean war, I think it is hands down Ted Williams. When you compare his stats in batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage, bases on balls,AB/rbi ratio, isolated power, on base slugging, secondary average,times on base, and the fact he hit 29 homers and hit 316 at the age of 42 in only 310 at bats to me it is a no brainer. Here is the best place to look at baseball stats. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/
Check out leaders and then the hitting chart. Then compare all the greats and see if you can come up with a better hitter. I am a stat freak and love this site. One thing that is really impressive is that Albert Pujols is the only person in the history of the game that began his career with 12 30 home run years in a row. Another incredible stat is Barry Bonds on base percentage of .609 in 2004. Imagine being on base 60 percent of the time for a full year, that is insane. Williams best was .553 which is incredible also.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Exceptionally talented I agree but also a first class asshole.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
My vote goes to Ted Williams. I won't even consider anyone from the common era, due to controversies that have become all too common.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Pete Rose holds no official records because of sports betting... None of which had any pertinence to his team or the games they played... But hey; steroids are totally ok...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'd take Cobb over Rose any day. A career batting average of .366 is not to be sneezed at. League batting champ 12 out of 24 years playing. Yeah, Rose had more hits - he also played in 500 more games.

I think I'd take Cobb over Williams, too, although it's closer. Cobb was the complete player, in his day. (Yes, he was also a racist and first class jerk. He also got more votes than Ruth in that first Hall of Fame class - from people who had seen 'em both play.)

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I cant believe that nobody has mentioned Hank Aaron, Willie mays, Mantle, Dimmagio,Bench, and my all time favorite Mike Schmidt.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Mays was mentioned. Johnny Bench was a great hitting catcher. Couldn't hold a candle to Cobb. And Schmidt? .267 BA does not cut it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jud: There is, according to Charlie Steiner, a steroid player already in the Hall of Fame, though Charlie refused to name him.
Bill James in the past has gone back and forth about who was the better hitter: Ruth or Williams. I believe he settled on Williams, and he may well be right. I've changed my mind on this one several times, too.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Willie Stargell because he went against some of the best pitchers of all time . Overall rank 134 . I do not believe the Babe ever saw a 100mph fast balls .

Status
Not open for further replies.