PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
Since it doesn't look like I will ever get to try Penzance can you recommend something that might be similar and is available?

How does Penzance break down? Is it Latakia heavy? Is it more of an English or Oriental etc?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Since it doesn't look like I will ever get to try Penzance can you recommend something that might be similar and is available?

How does Penzance break down? Is it Latakia heavy? Is it more of an English or Oriental etc?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Pease Quiet Nights is pretty damned similar. I actually bounced back and forth between QN and Penzance last winter upon making this discovery. Penzance did have that element of Germain's about it, but I am no longer interested in finding Penzance - I just load up on QN.

I don’t get a blatant latakia taste from Penzance. It is well balanced with the orientals to give it more of a shifting kaleidoscope of different incense-like aromas on a creamy base.
It is one of the few latakia/oriental blends where people will usually stop and tell me that my pipe smells wonderful.

I realy like Lancers Slices too, but it’s not even the same tobaccos. LS is just Virginia and latakia, for a meaty, leathery smoke. I’ve set back quite a bit of it.
But, if we are just suggesting random blends that we like better (but yet has nothing to do with what the OP asks) then I’ll throw GLPs Ashbury into the thread. I like a lot also, but doesn’t have anything to do with what the OP asks. puffy

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
OK, so a long time ago (mid-90s), I worked at Sherlock's Haven in San Francisco. The shop had Esoterica lying around. It was a popular tobacco line, no doubt, but easily available. To the tune of $25 for 8 oz. and $5-10 for a 2 oz. tin. Penzance was just another smoke. Very good, but not worth the hoops and finances required now. I won't buy Penzance for $200 per bag. (I simply cannot bring myself to do that.) So my advice is buy what's available. GL Pease is making terrific Englishes, yes, including Quiet Nights. Does it compare? Don't know. Haven't smoked Penzance in ages. Gotta a pound still jarred in my closet.