PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think simplicity, or seeming so, is a primary virtue in pipe design. I like some of the crazy Ser Jacopo's and Mummerts, but in those same brands, I like the pipes that at least have the look of simplicity. fish'n'banjo recently posted a photo (of himself smoking ...) a pipe with three or four incorporated materials, but the color and texture was so well selected and merged that the pipe looked like a fact of nature. I tend to like pipes that almost go unnoticed until you look more closely and observe more carefully, and suddenly the unfold with interesting features, nuances in shape, finish, materials, flow and balance. I don't want a pipe to be invisible, but I do like subtlety. bh

The cat added that last bit of self expression.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I, too, appreciate simplicity. I tend to go for classic shapes ( mostly Billiard and Brandy) or pipes with slight variations of those shapes. I can fall in love with a pipe with a little Italian flair, but Danish freehands and many of the developing North American style pipes just don't appeal to me.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I completely agree. It took me a while to learn the lesson though. Some people never do.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree with the above, but for some, there's no lesson to learn: they like those styles and stick with them. Diff strokes and all...

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I'm a rough and ready type . Like my cob a lot because it ain't too fancy and is kinda organic looking.
Next purchase will be an unfinished briar , gonna let the natural oils and my hands create a patina .

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm a pipe shape traditionalist, but like them with a touch of "flair" to them, such either chubbier than the norm, a slight variation of the shape, or some silver bling. Wait, what does that sound like, Peterson. :D

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I like where the American aesthetic is going, classic shapes with interesting accents or a really unique Cumberland, ebonite, or Bakelite stem. I love Bill Shalosky’s fordite accents he’s doing these days. Sam Adebayo has some really nice boxwood accents. Scott Klein’s horn work is legendary.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
In some cases what goes around comes around. Some of the items you mentioned lordofthepiperings are new innovations some are not and there are Horn stems returning, Amber is difficult, and expensive, but can be found.
A good example is this Apple with Horn accent done decades ago by the maker/owner.
44239727182_5702666142_z_d.jpg

Who happens to be this late gentleman and Pipemaker
43381697525_7c3dd09a3d_o_d.jpg

If you don’t happen to know who he was, it’s the late Bo Nordh.
While not as good looking or as talented here I am smoking said pipe.

banjo
29352082757_ca61610377_z_d.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I should have included Pipemaker Wayne Teipen and his Briar Stem which is exquisite and Kaywoodie did it nearly 100 years ago calling it the All Briar.

banjo

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I like the ones that speak to me, doesn’t get any simpler than that.
Absolutely!
I never knew how much I favored bents, usually traditional shapes, until I took a look a my pipes one day, years ago. I like a bit of silver, reject freehands, bamboo fitted pipes, and non-traditional woods on sight. Years ago, I wasn't so picky.
This is not to say I do not appreciate the fine workmanship of pipes I wouldn't own. A well crafted, properly proportioned for my eye, beautifully finished pipe can often be a bit of art, even if I wouldn't own it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Silver, boxwood, bamboo, horn have been used with pipes for quite a while.
I'm not positive, but I think Bill's use of fordite is a fairly new thing as an accent material for pipes. I can't recall anyone else off the top of my head that used it in pipe making before him. I can't even think of another carver using it now other than Bill.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bluto, I think unfinished pipes, and their finishing themselves over time, are one of the great pleasures of pipe smoking. I wouldn't put anything on it in terms of wax or other finish, just buff it well with a cloth after every smoke while it is a little bit warm. It may go through awkward stages, like a kid, but pretty soon the miracle will begin to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.