PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesofsteele

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
Western Washington
Hey fellow pipe smokers,

I have recently come to find that I really enjoy Essoterica's Margate. In fact, it is one of the only English blends that I really enjoy so far (that and Mississippi River, if you count it). When it comes to English blends, I have really only smoked those, Dunhill My Mixture 965, Early Morning Pipe, and Balkan Sasieni. If I really enjoy Margate, what other English blends might you suggest? :puffy:

Margate is one of my favorites also, at least as far as latakia goes. But, it has the essential flavors (maybe the casing) only truly found in Essotericas, so Penzance would be about the closest in flavors, IMO. But, one that you might want to try, because I like it also (I am picky as hell about my latakia) is Rattray's Black Mallory.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Something you might want to give a try, also made by J.F. Germain (and can actually be found for sale) is Smoker's Haven Exotique Mixture.
http://thepipeguys.com/product/smokers-haven-exotique-mixture/
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2042/smokers-haven-exotique-mixture

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Something you might want to give a try, also made by J.F. Germain (and can actually be found for sale) is Smoker's Haven Exotique Mixture.
I'll second this.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Oh Margate, I do enjoy that blend, just blew through a tin of it last week. It's sister is Penzance but harder to find usually than Margate. I'm going to have to try some of that Germain.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Margate is a ribbon cut, and Penzance is slices! They are not very similar in taste to my so-called palate, either. But I like both. Also love Bengal Slices, Smyrna, New Mix, and any number of GL Pease blends. They are similar enough to be grouped together, though I can't say any two are exactly alike. Close enough for gov't work!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yup, Dave got it right above. Our Best Blend by Smokers Haven is rumored to be Margate... Exotique is basically Margate with more forward Orientals. I promise that if you Love Margate you will also love Exotique. OBB isn't available at the moment.
Edit* Yeah get it from the Pipe Guys because it went up a whole dollar per tin on the SH website
Lancer Slices
Great blend for sure but it's lacking the Oriental component that Margate has.

pipesofsteele

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
Western Washington
Thank you all for the input. Now I got a few new tobaccos to put on my wishlist! :D I live in Washington so I'm hoping those retailers are able to ship there, I will check later today. 8)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm a fan of margate as well. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Exotique by SmokersHaven. Get it while you still can. It's in the same genre as Margate, but so much better. It'll be gone soon... likely forever :(
EDIT: Hawk, I didn't even read your response. Great minds... glad to see others love this blend as well. This thread has motivated me to place another order :)

Oct 7, 2016
I don't want to start a controversy, but I opened and smoked a tin of Exotique around Christmas. I got a bag of Margate a month ago and jarred most of it, but I kept out about an ounce and smoked it. I think it is exactly the same. If I recall correctly, Penzance was described to me by Steve Richman, the original importer, to be a pressed version of Our Best Blend, kind of like a version of Krumble Kake as it was originally conceived. I have always liked Margate and Exotique, give Pembroke and Smokers Haven Cognac a try, too, they might pleasantly surprised you.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I disagree. While in the same genre, there is a lot different between them. I'm not particularly sensitive to tastes, but I can easily distinguish between the two.

Oct 7, 2016
I can only go by recent experience of what I assume is current production. But perhaps your taste buds are better than mine.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah N8, I'm kind of itching to get some more myself even though I've got a bunch in the cellar. It's one that I can never own enough of.

Jun 27, 2016
I'll have to agree with Nate, Exotique is not very much like Margate taste-wise. The "new" Sobranie, or to a lesser degree, The "new" OBB would be better subs for Margate, at least out of what I have in my drawer. I think OBB doesn't have enough Latakia in it to be a good sub for Margate, but the Sobranie does. You could also sub the 'zance for Margate (but not the other way around imho). So, all in all, not a very helpful post on my part, since all of that sthuff is usually rather scarce.

Jun 27, 2016
They guy who posted hasn't been on for a month, so I guess this is for anyone else who reads it. I'm on my way to changing my answer on this one. Most recently I've been smoking a lot of "new" OBB, Margate, and these last couple of days some "new" Sobranie. My Margate's been chilling in a jar for a while since I smoked it last, and the first thing that I noticed most recently is that it got sweeter in a light powdered sugar type of way, and more mellow all-around. No sharp edges like when I opened the bag of freshly-produced mixture. I still get similar orange-peel Ori flavors like in the 'zance, but the odd raw licorice root flavors that would pop up occasionally when the Margate was fresh were not there anymore. The Sobranie has also been in a jar for a while, although it has not sweetened up like the Margate did, and it has a lot of Macedonian in it which seems different enough from the Oris in the Margate to make me think now that it is not a good alternative. I still want to do some more comparo-smoking between Margate, OBB and at least a couple bowls of Exotique, but I might end up suggesting the O.B.B. with some blending Latakia, and possibly some Bulgarian Oriental added if further orange citrus flavor is needed. :puffpipe:

Reactions: pipesofsteele
Status
Not open for further replies.