Silver Stem Adornment Clocking Adjustment.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
This snazzy Ashton with an ornate band had an issue with the stem clocking past where it should have, and the lines on the engraving didn’t match up. They weren’t off by much, but just enough to drive an anal retentive type crazy. The alignment of the mouthpiece tilted a little to the right with her tightened down too.

So I set about figuring how to correct it…

I wasn’t sure how the stem was mounted in to the back piece, and applying any heat on that was probably a recipe for disaster. The whole tenon/mortise affair is threaded. So I figured if a guy could rotate the mortise CCW a bit that might solve it.

I heated up the piece on the stummel and it came off easily. Removed some residual adhesive inside the sleeve, and scrubbed it out. I could see solder flowed on the inside.

Now, I suppose I could’ve rigged up a fixture to hold the center piece and rotated the sleeve around to where it need to be, but that just seemed like a lot of extra work. So then I thought why not just flow a little solder onto the end and build the end out just a tad. It would accomplish the same end.

So I cleaned it up and applied a little flux and flowed some silver solder on it. Needed a little adjustment, but now the stem clocks fine.

The ragged or “leafed” edge was belled out a bit when I got it too, and that annoyed me. Stuff tends to catch under there. So I ran it up in a rifle case die to close the end up a little bit.

That was the Saturday afternoon Winter shop session for today.

0CFA0D2A-9E31-4E7A-9D54-94E44CF20591.png