PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A couple of years before I quit I came across Sillem's Commodore, "a pressed blend of full-bodied, smoky Latakia with Kentucky and a dash of Black Cavendish." I Just loved it. I felt that latakia flakes were under-represented and this flake had a flavor component beyond its ingredients, which I savored. Don't ask me now what it was.

Normally $16 and now $10; in my estimation worth it at $20, and often in short supply. Sale ends 05/11. 10 tin limit. In my view if you can get 10, bite the bullet.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I bought a tin from a fine forum friend a year or two ago and it is surely unique. I think the additional flavor component is a topping of some sort, maybe something fruity. It took me a few bowls to get down with it because it struck me an unusual mix of flavors, but it works. Also, one of the few Latakia blends I've had with some nicotine oomph!

Wasn't planning on ordering tobacco this week, but may throw in for a tin of the Commodore, and maybe the 1814 Mayor's Flake or the Councilor 1695 Flake, both of which I have wanted to try but never have.

Good lookin' out!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Sillems makes some nice stuff. Unique. I’ve enjoyed a few of their blends but never cellared any of them. Prices seem reasonable!

Reactions: danimalia

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I bought a tin from a fine forum friend a year or two ago and it is surely unique. I think the additional flavor component is a topping of some sort, maybe something fruity. It took me a few bowls to get down with it because it struck me an unusual mix of flavors, but it works. Also, one of the few Latakia blends I've had with some nicotine oomph!

Wasn't planning on ordering tobacco this week, but may throw in for a tin of the Commodore, and maybe the 1814 Mayor's Flake or the Councilor 1695 Flake, both of which I have wanted to try but never have.

Good lookin' out!
I've heard good things about their VA flakes. I wouldn't be surprised if they were upper tier, which is granted SG, Dan or Capstan, they just haven't been around for that long?

I think you're right about the topping, especially as Sillem's has a reputation for that.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Might have to try a tin of the Black now. English Aromatics are not necessarily my jam, but it would be nice to have one around, and those are two pretty forceful recommendations.
Many fall too far on either end of the dichotomy. Sillem's is perfectly balanced.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
From what I read here and from what I smoked I'm thinking that while Commodore is topped, Sillem's Black is an aro.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Ive never been big on aromatics but maybe Ive just never smoked the right ones. This lineup sounds pretty good .

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’m with @saltedplug , Commodore is a fantastic blend, big in every way. Overflowing with flavor and a solid medium plus in the nic dept.

Counselor is a terrific VaPer that I’ve been cellaring for years. I was satisfied with my stash but between the sale and with this brand being in flux (Sillem’s => John Aylesbury => Sillem’s again) I added more 10 tins last night.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
So would you be ok 'fessing up to how many tins of Counselor you have in the cellat? Just wondering. Would probably make me do my happy-dance;).

Reactions: tfdickson

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
A couple of years before I quit I came across Sillem's Commodore, "a pressed blend of full-bodied, smoky Latakia with Kentucky and a dash of Black Cavendish." I Just loved it. I felt that latakia flakes were under-represented and this flake had a flavor component beyond its ingredients, which I savored. Don't ask me now what it was.

Normally $16 and now $10; in my estimation worth it at $20, and often in short supply. Sale ends 05/11. 10 tin limit. In my view if you can get 10, bite the bullet.
I came out of the woodwork just for this sale. Commodore Flake is amazing and is rarely in stock, though I hardly look anymore these days so maybe it’s been in stock more consistently. If you like McConnell’s Latakia Flake, Commodore Flake is very similar. I find it to smoke more like an old world British tobacco than an English/Balkan blend, very stout and delicious. The topping is very similar to that of Revor Plug so of course I see Revor Plug, McConnell’s Lat Flake & Commodore Flake to be of the same style, while I find these 3 to be very similar, I’ve not had anything else quite like em.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
+1 on The Black. I don’t really care for Aros, but this is a cool blend between Aro and English. It’s fairly sweet with a fruit/berry sweetness.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
So would you be ok 'fessing up to how many tins of Counselor you have in the cellat? Just wondering. Would probably make me do my happy-dance;).

Nothing crazy, roughly 30 tins prior to the 10 I bought last night. It was never a unicorn but also never easy to buy in quantity either. I built up my stash 2 or 3 at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.