PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Since I’m starting to own some decent pipes, I really want to care for them the best I can.

I’m sure we all know the Dunhill and Savinelli treated silicone cloths, so because of my assumed understanding of the popularity of these, I naturally gravitated towards wiping my pipes down all the time with a silicone treated cloth.

So I have always been taking a two step approach to my pipe maintenance, wiping them with a silicone treated cloth, and every so often waxing, with wax from Fine Pipes.

In time these cloths will dry out, so I ran to Ace and bought silicone spray to lightly treat my Dunhill cloth when needed.

A good point was brought up to me, that I hadn’t really considered, all the added chemicals in this silicone spray I was using.

So...

Hmm, is it good to still maintain this two step approach, wipe with a silicone treated cloth, and when needed wax every so often?

I am now looking at tossing out my chemically laced Ace Hardware silicone spray, and considering buying this 100% pure silicone oil to spray on my Dunhill cloth to wipe my pipes down between waxes.

5B7E3621-964F-4489-80A4-30FEAB8C650E.jpeg

Reactions: JOHN72

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I'd only consider using silicone oil on the stems. I'm not a huge fan of silicone in wood. I have no real examples of where that combination has had any issues, I just prefer wax for pipes and neat's-foot or tongue oil for gunstocks.

Reactions: JOHN72

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Use a pure Carnauba wax. It has a very high temperature melting point.

I use One Grand Blitz.

I prefer to stick to Fine Pipes’ waxes;

Reactions: BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Use a pure Carnauba wax. It has a very high temperature melting point.
As do I. But I still have the Fine Pipes stuff as well…255E1907-646B-47D2-976D-CDC7460037B8.jpeg
And according to the add copy, Halcyon II has melting point that’s 30 F higher than pure carnuba. I like to use it to get a thicker coating of wax built up after I strip the old wax off, or for rusticated/blasts. I use a horse hair brush to buff out the wax after it dries.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Just buy some Halcyon or Paragon wax, wipe youe pipe with a microfiber cloth after you smoke it and reapply wax as needed. No need to overcomplicate this with Space Shuttle technology...

This!

Paragon or Halcyon II only. I think the silicone wipe is superfluous. I do use Obsidian on my vulcanite stems before waxing.

Agreed. But if you really want to use your wipes, which I do between cleanings, just spray them with an old fashioned furniture polish and let them dry. There was a product called Briar Pipe Wipe and that's all it was. Works great between polishing.

Reactions: BROBS