PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I enjoy straight Virginia's and realized I'd never tried Capstan Blue before. I picked up a tin about three months or so ago. I immediately opened it, dried out a flake and had a nice smoke. I put the rest in a mason jar after letting it dry a bit, and sort of forgot about it these past three months. I usually only smoke a bowl a day in the morning with my coffee. Sometimes more on the weekends. This morning, I was going over my mason jars, deciding what to smoke with my coffee, and picked up the Capstan. This sounds good, so loaded up a bowl and sat outside for my smoke. The flavor had changed significantly from that first smoke. Not that the first bowl was bad in any way. I distinctly remember the taste of that first bowl, and this was entirely different. I'm not sure how to describe it. I'm not very good at describing the flavors I get from pipe tobacco, but It seemed richer and fuller, less rough around the edges. I've never noticed such a big flavor disparity with a blend before in such a short time. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Have any of you had similar experiences in such a short time?

Reactions: Jacob74 and kurtbob

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Could be down to the state of your palate on any given day. I've sampled new to me bourbons one day and on another day it can taste quite different. The way I determine the quality (or otherwise) of a bourbon is to try several samples over a period of time.

I'm quite certain that applies to tobacco also.

Just my tuppence worth ?

Regards,

Jay.?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A little time in the jar and a little drying improves many blends, but I suspect the biggest improvement is in ones learning a blend, knowing what to expect, and attending to the flavors and tending the burn better. There's a learning curve, and sometimes it doesn't kick in until the second order of a blend, or until after it has been set aside for some time, sometimes years. It has surprised me considerably how much a blend can improve in the second or fifth bowl or after some time unsmoked.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
A little time in the jar and a little drying improves many blends, but I suspect the biggest improvement is in ones learning a blend, knowing what to expect, and attending to the flavors and tending the burn better. There's a learning curve, and sometimes it doesn't kick in until the second order of a blend, or until after it has been set aside for some time, sometimes years. It has surprised me considerably how much a blend can improve in the second or fifth bowl or after some time unsmoked.
That's interesting. I haven't thought of it in that way, but that makes sense. Thanks.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I recently returned to some 1792 Flake. Early on the tonquin was a constant 'flavor' that stood apart from the tobacco -- it was like a 'curtain' between me and the flavor of the tobacco. When I came back to it -- about a year and a half later -- the tonquin had all but disappeared, having been 'absorbed' into the overall flavor profile. The result was a delightful, harmonious smoke.

The problem is that I should have put more of it up but didn't because it wasn't that great early on. Now, it is special and I wish I had more at hand. Live and learn.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
One that I smoke daily, War Horse Bar does that. 2 weeks in a jar and it goes from a dark tan, crumbly crumble cake to a dark brown, leathery Long flakes and deeply married flavor......who’d of thunk?

Reactions: HitchensDog