PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
StanwellRondo03Billiard.jpg

I am fortunate to have a number of billiards but this is one of my favorites - a Stanwell Rondo 03 that smokes beautifully, is perfectly constructed for its price point, and is very well balanced.

It's also the very first pipe I purchased from Smokingpipes.com in December 2003. Since this was my very first purchase from them, they also sent a complementary tin of 2003 McClelland Christmas Cheer! I've been a satisfied repeat customer ever since...

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
View attachment 82992

I am fortunate to have a number of billiards but this is one of my favorites - a Stanwell Rondo 03 that smokes beautifully, is perfectly constructed for its price point, and is very well balanced.

It's also the very first pipe I purchased from Smokingpipes.com in December 2003. Since this was my very first purchase from them, they also sent a complementary tin of 2003 McClelland Christmas Cheer! I've been a satisfied repeat customer ever since...
That is a beautiful pipe and a great story. I'm assuming the Christmas Cheer was finished long ago?

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have quite a few billiards as I really like their traditional shape. This is one of my favorites, an old Castello Trademark. No outstanding grain, but well made and a tremendous smoker.

View attachment 82993
Wow, I normally find Castello's shaping a bit too 'Italian' for me with a bit too much extra briar, but this one is very elegant. It looks almost Danish to me. A very beautiful pipe.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Those are beautiful pipes. I'm wondering if some of the bent ones would still be considered billiards?
It's a surprisingly loose designation. Many of my Billiards borderline Brandy or Apple shapes, but aren't quite exaggerated enough to be considered that. The second one is the traditional cylindrical "Dutch" Billiard shape, but Oom Pauls and Hungarians are technically in the Billiard family, too.
This represents about half of the Billiards in my collection.