PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Bruyere Guarantee that I stripped, rusticated then finished. Sorry that I dont have a pic from before sanding, it was a light brown before.
After Sanding. 200grit, 600grit, 1000 grit, if I remember correctly.
BruyereGuaranteeSanded.jpg
After Rusticating, I left the shank smooth.
Rsuticated1.jpg
Rusticated2.jpg
And done. Hit all the high spots with black, then a quick once over with some steel wool. Followed by a base layer of yellow. The finish is a 50/50 mix of yellow and Oxblood.
finished1.jpg
finished3.jpg

I'l do better on the next one, the rustication lines aren't quite perfect, and it bothers me.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Bruyere Guarantee that I stripped, rusticated then finished. Sorry that I dont have a pic from before sanding, it was a light brown before.
View attachment 99153
View attachment 99154
View attachment 99155
And done. Hit all the high spots with black, then a quick once over with some steel wool. Followed by a base layer of yellow. The finish is a 50/50 mix of yellow and Oxblood.
View attachment 99156
View attachment 99157

I'l do better on the next one, the rustication lines aren't quite perfect, and it bothers me.
Nice job. I kind of like it all natural. But I see that grain coming through on the shank. Keep us posted when to do more.

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
View attachment 99153
View attachment 99154
View attachment 99155
View attachment 99156
View attachment 99157

That turned out nice. I like the mix you did with those colors.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Normally I don't bother with "before" and "after" pix as I'm not a restorer, just a guy cleaning up old pipes. But in this one serendipitous case I have them:

some befores:
qu0JQs1.jpg

IJBhiKu.jpg

hYVEiCB.jpg

after:
W9I9CK1.jpg

7OVMZTb.jpg
Great Job! I need something like that now that the rainy season is starting.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
View attachment 99153
View attachment 99154
View attachment 99155
View attachment 99156
View attachment 99157

Nice job on the rustication. Very interesting to see the before picture also, to see the result vs what was there before (i.e. birdseye or long grain).

Reactions: jewman22

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know this discussion happened back in September, and being so busy with school I wasn’t able to check that stuff. Is there a particular brand of sodium silicate you would recommend?
Being a simple chemical compound, there shouldn't be much variance between brands.?