PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Title edited for brevity.

Show off your handy work, Before and After.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My Color Duke Restoration

My Irwins Prince Restoration

I have a few others, just have to find the links. If you are thinking of doing a restoration, I say go for it. Its very rewarding to bring an old pipe back to life.

Reactions: rossmycroftholmes

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Here's some "just for fun" stuff I did.

Reactions: T-townrestore

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
My Color Duke Restoration

My Irwins Prince Restoration

I have a few others, just have to find the links. If you are thinking of doing a restoration, I say go for it. Its very rewarding to bring an old pipe back to life.
Nice work, I started restoring pipes earlier this year. It’s very addicting.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Normally I don't bother with "before" and "after" pix as I'm not a restorer, just a guy cleaning up old pipes. But in this one serendipitous case I have them:

some befores:
qu0JQs1.jpg

IJBhiKu.jpg

hYVEiCB.jpg

after:
W9I9CK1.jpg

7OVMZTb.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thought you might get a kick out of how far it's possible to go with collectables.

Easier to link to existing photos than upload them here (because of the pic count and size limits):

Hi George,

I remember that Dunhill salvage job you did from 5 or so years before. Just great work.

Another perfect example of why I never refer to myself as a restorer, just a guy who cleans up pipes.

A restoration restores structural integrity, not just looks. And a really good restorer can do the restoration work in a manner that is invisible and looks correct to the period.

That's what separates great restorers from the mediocre restorers and what separates actual restorers from the rest of us. There are a few members here with restoration level chops.

The rest of us, however grand we want to refer to it, just do clean ups. I admire a really good cleaning job, but restoration it is not.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
This arrived today and is just a cursory cleaning from tonight. I spent about an hour on the stem and top. I followed Georges video on cleaning the stem and it helped loads. I have to hit it again to remove just a few sand marks. The other tip he gave in another video is to use pumice before polish to remove the haze and it works wonders! I have to try and the tips that aren't just dirty, their burnt.

auto r.jpeg
Auto T.jpeg
65882F84-DBB7-424D-92B0-3F36C9671C6A.jpeg
C8F8250C-F5F9-4682-8E20-1470C7AD6824.jpeg

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
This arrived today and is just a cursory cleaning from tonight. I spent about an hour on the stem and top. I followed Georges video on cleaning the stem and it helped loads. I have to hit it again to remove just a few sand marks. The other tip he gave in another video is to use pumice before polish to remove the haze and it works wonders! I have to try and the tips that aren't just dirty, their burnt.

View attachment 98772
View attachment 98773
View attachment 98774
View attachment 98775
Can you send me the link for George’s video?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon