New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

C

carolinasmokes

My newest acquisitions, two Vauen filter less billiards and two Vauen filter less pots. Billiard break ins have already started and have a ways to go yet but are smoking cool and dry down to ash. I am really impressed by the quality of Vauen pipes. The fit, finish and drilling is meticulously done. Stem taper is well done and comfortable. Vauen makes a high quality pipe at a reasonable price and I am well satisfied with my purchase.

IMG_5805__42570.1540927970.350.350.jpgIMG_5811__56721.1540927270.350.350.jpg
IMG_5776__35099.1540928678.jpg
IMG_5817__87464.1540912275.jpg

Reactions: Bassman65

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m waiting on delivery of my first Vauen!
Question - Do I need an adapter to smoke it without a filter? I know they sell them just not sure if it’s really necessary.
I smoke a 9mm Brigham with no filter all the time and it doesn’t have any kind of adapter. Thoughts?
View attachment 83002
no, used the filter it came with once (second smoke). I swear the hole where the filter goes improves the smoke without any filter in there. But they smoke fine that way. Though make sure you clean out that area after smoking it. :)

C

carolinasmokes

I’m waiting on delivery of my first Vauen!
Question - Do I need an adapter to smoke it without a filter? I know they sell them just not sure if it’s really necessary.
I smoke a 9mm Brigham with no filter all the time and it doesn’t have any kind of adapter. Thoughts?
View attachment 83002
Personally, I use the Vauen filter adapters in all my Vauen pipes. You can get the original Vauen filter adapters from Tobaccopipes.com @$4.99 each. Whenever I buy a Vauen pipe I order a filter to go with it, I prefer smoking with the adapter over the filter cartridge. If you smoke a straight stem pipe they will pass a pipe cleaner easily, if needed.

C

carolinasmokes

@anotherbob and carolinasmokes
Thanks for the info
It guess I’ll try it without a filter or adapter and see how it smok

LotusEater, what ever works for you buddy I'm onboard with

@anotherbob and carolinasmokes
Thanks for the info
It guess I’ll try it without a filter or adapter and see how it smokes.
LotusEater, whatever works for you I'm onboard with, hope you like your new Vauen pipe!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Upon the whole, yes. But it depends on how you smoke: I'm more of a puffer than a sipper and I burnt my tongue smoking sans filter or adapter. If I'm not using a filter I put the adapter in.

As @carolinasmokes mentioned, DO get the original Vauen adapter. Other adapters, such as Rattray's (I think) are not the right size and they don't have the rubber ring that holds the filter in place and provides a seal so that the smoke goes through the 3 mm hole only.

C

carolinasmokes

Upon the whole, yes. But it depends on how you smoke: I'm more of a puffer than a sipper and I burnt my tongue smoking sans filter or adapter. If I'm not using a filter I put the adapter in.

As @carolinasmokes mentioned, DO get the original Vauen adapter. Other adapters, such as Rattray's (I think) are not the right size and they don't have the rubber ring that holds the filter in place and provides a seal so that the smoke goes through the 3 mm hole only.
"Ditto"?

Reactions: Bassman65

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be sure to get the OG Vauen adapter. I think I’ll still try it out without a filter or adapter first but like you I tend to puff rather than sip - I’ll probably be needing the adapter:)

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Personally I suspect but can't prove that it enhances the smoke. In fact just finished smoking it like that.
Yeah - I’ve never smoked a filter pipe with a filter. I just ordered a Vauen adapter and some filters but I generally like pipes with a a really open draw? I’ll try it both ways and figure out what I like best. I think if it smokes without gurgling sans filter/adapter I’ll be happy.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah - I’ve never smoked a filter pipe with a filter. I just ordered a Vauen adapter and some filters but I generally like pipes with a a really open draw? I’ll try it both ways and figure out what I like best. I think if it smokes without gurgling sans filter/adapter I’ll be happy.
you'll like it with out the filter I find that the filter hole being empty gives an open draw that taste like a restricted draw. why no clue but I could present a plausible but very suspect theory.