PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
meer-600x448.jpg
My 59.00 AND Meerschaum pipe,,good smoker.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Nice pipes! Buzz, love that bring to work pipe.
I need to invest in a quality meerschaum at some point here...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here are a few meerschaums you might enjoy. The problem is I have so many of these damned pipes that of recent I have been thinning down the number of meerschaum billiards I own and finding them new homes as I find my 'clay pipe' style pipes smoke cooler and in the last two decades have become the main focus of PAD and should you ever come across any in this style please do let me know.
eBay_01_zps41dd15a9.jpg

eBay_02_zps35e711be.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As an after thought the top pipe has some beautiful engraving around the collar in fine floral script that it was an engagement gift in the last quarter of the 19th century which I think is absolutely great and it must have passed down the generations until the last person it meant anything too passed away and it found it way onto the market and then into my hands. Strange when you think about really. When I retire I must write a book about these pipe styles as I have picked up so much information over the years from people who remember these steles of pipes.

Reactions: Papasmurf92

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Just bought this Golden Horn Bekler abstract on eBay. As seen before in this thread, I have two of Bekler's abstract pipes, one Golden Horn (case missing), the other probably a Golden Horn new-old-stock reboxed as a CAO. This one is Golden Horn boxed - and boxed, not with a fitted case.
Outside of box, covered in fuzzy blue velvet. The fuzz is stiff with age, anyone know how to make it all soft again?

QOnwwU9.jpg

Inside the box, with sticker *reads "Finest quality black meerschaum Golden Horn" and has their G-formed-around-a-calabash logo. Original store price sticker, too! It does have the logo dot in the stem (Golden Horn did this before CAO!) and many Golden Horns - including some Beklers - did not have it. I assumed from the auction photos that this one would, while still pretty, not reach the level of the other two I have.

P8HDzXG.jpg

...I was wrong. Oh, so very wrong. It's smaller, yes, about 6" long. Here it is, out of the case, from one side, though it's hard to define 'sides' with these. It's also the only pipe I have where the numbers written on the shank and stem mating surfaces (so that the right stem went to the right pipe) don't match-- 34 and 33, respectively-- but the stem fits perfectly and seems to be right for it. The brass logo dot is slightly off-center on the stem, which is interesting.

kNIQMXU.jpg

Top, with its two holes (both my others have holes in them, too). There's a cute little hook on one of them.

enpyD0b.jpg

Front, showing the flowing surfaces. Also note the top, which forms a smooth, gentle curve. The only damage, if you can call it that, are a few tiny nibbles visible along that upper edge.

xBvGzYn.jpg

Underside. Wow. I have no idea how Bekler pulled these designs out of his head, much less put them into solid form. Only a few carvers did abstracts, and in my opinion he was the master.

oiQAb8C.jpg

And the signature. During the time he was first imported to the USA, by Royal (having been discovered in Turkey by Irving Korn) Bekler didn't sign his work. For Golden Horn, he seems to have always signed his full name, and many Golden Horns are also dated, most often 1974 for some reason. For CAO, he usually signed "i. Bekler" only.

o5eLQVL.jpg

Trust me that only six photos cannot adequately give you an idea of this pipe. It must be held and examined for at least a few minutes to see all the nuances. Unbelievable!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Found this on my doorstep tonight when I got home - it's the MeerQueen pipe that I ordered during their PM Member promotion late last year. Evidently, it got held up in customs due to an address problem, but after a quick e-mail to MeerQueen, it all got sorted out and made it from Pennsylvania to Colorado in record time.
6089fa60-f42b-4c2f-b9ca-979ba2e0a21c_zpsfhcoggn7.jpg

1677b181-74c6-49b5-8aa0-a9bb63f6825a_zpsehvvtjh9.jpg

8b1d80b8-e6c3-46c8-911e-6057e9c1f6b4_zpshecpdxik.jpg

I opted for having my initials carved into the shank.
79130a53-fadd-4e36-ba89-a5db3af9ce24_zpsf9xohnns.jpg

Reactions: tekinmeerschaum