PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Only got 4 one I've had for 50 years...the lion head has an amber stem and bone tenon..don't smoke it much as wife wants it when I am dead and gone.

Attachments

• Copy of LIONHEAD_MEERSCHAUM_AMBERBIT_SIDE.JPG
    Copy of LIONHEAD_MEERSCHAUM_AMBERBIT_SIDE.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 9
  • ClawEggBtm.JPG
    ClawEggBtm.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Sultan-Meer.JPG
    Sultan-Meer.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 6
  • CAO-Billiard.JPG
    CAO-Billiard.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 8

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hey, I just wanted to post this: When you're breaking in a meerschaum (I know. They don't need to be broken in, but I say oh! what the hell, and do it anyway), best to do so with a mixture of honey, nosewax and charred railroad tie.

Just so you know and for the common good.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Here is something interesting: a raw piece of meerschaum I just picked up. It passed the saliva test and smells like dirt, so I believe it is the real thing. The place had another piece about this size, I might get it as well.
View attachment 71824
As a geology major, chalk will also pass the saliva test too. Chalk will react to acid (like vinegar) but sepiolite will not.

wunkus

Lurker
Apr 4, 2019
As a geology major, chalk will also pass the saliva test too. Chalk will react to acid (like vinegar) but sepiolite will not.
Thanks for the info. I am currently doing work near the source of meerschaum and this piece was displayed in a case full of meerschaum pipes. It seems slightly heavier and softer than a pipe that I own, but I have read that recently mined meerschaum (or when it has been soaked in water) has those properties. It does not leave anything on my hands when I handle it, and seems to slightly polish if I rub a section with my finger. I will have to find some vinegar to test it with.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
I was at Boswell’s today, and this small but tall SMS caught my eye. I’d been looking for a pipe just like this for a while, one I could experiment with, hold it by the bowl, see if I mind how it affects the coloration.
I’m quite fond of it already, and the draw is surprisingly decent.
Luckily, the pipe wall is thinner, so, I should get an answer to my query sooner rather than later.
This is all in preparation for the arrival of my latest online pipe acquisition, as I’ve a beautiful smooth Bent Dublin by Tekin on the way from Ireland. I’ve been struggling with the idea of holding it like a briar. Though, funnily enough, I might not get to celebrate it’s arrival during March Meer Madness, as it’s already been in the mail for 11 days, and with the way the mail service has been, March might just be over by the time it gets to me. We’ll see.

Attachments

• E937D6D4-BFD4-49F5-92E9-654BF75A88E7.jpeg
    E937D6D4-BFD4-49F5-92E9-654BF75A88E7.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 6
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I was at Boswell’s today, and this small but tall SMS caught my eye. I’d been looking for a pipe just like this for a while, one I could experiment with, hold it by the bowl, see if I mind how it affects the coloration.
I’m quite fond of it already, and the draw is surprisingly decent.
Luckily, the pipe wall is thinner, so, I should get an answer to my query sooner rather than later.
This is all in preparation for the arrival of my latest online pipe acquisition, as I’ve a beautiful smooth Bent Dublin by Tekin on the way from Ireland. I’ve been struggling with the idea of holding it like a briar. Though, funnily enough, I might not get to celebrate it’s arrival during March Meer Madness, as it’s already been in the mail for 11 days, and with the way the mail service has been, March might just be over by the time it gets to me. We’ll see.

I must be doing something wrong. I hold and smoke my Meers just like any other pipe.

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
Thanks for the info. I am currently doing work near the source of meerschaum and this piece was displayed in a case full of meerschaum pipes. It seems slightly heavier and softer than a pipe that I own, but I have read that recently mined meerschaum (or when it has been soaked in water) has those properties. It does not leave anything on my hands when I handle it, and seems to slightly polish if I rub a section with my finger. I will have to find some vinegar to test it with.
No need to test. I don't know where did you get but it is a block meerschaum..

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Sending the basket weave Meer back. It didn't end up passing a pipe cleaner effortlessly but required a fair amount of finagling. It is a screw in tenon which is cheap bullchit in my book. The mouthpiece is narrow and thick which I abhor for clinching. Really cheap stemwork, probably a pre fabricated stem thrown onto the pipe.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper and Reggie