PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Almost ashamed to show this because it is an embarrassment of riches (though I really didn't pay much for them). I doubt I will keep them all. I have so much restoration work ahead of me.

View attachment 23485

View attachment 23486
View attachment 23487
All Dunhills, all smooth, all billiards, all the time. I'd like to meet the person who owned those. Did they have other pipes that weren't Dunhills, smooths, or billiards? What was their tobacco of choice? Did they eat the same meals everyday? How did they dress? What did they drive?

I hope you keep them together. Someone put a great deal of care amassing them.

Fascinating.

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
When the desire for our “object of attraction” becomes unbearable and we finally manage to obtain it, our expectations can be high, very high. This is particularly true with pipe smoking, at least it was for me during a certain period of time. The next pipe was always going to be the best one, and usually I could not live without it.
This beautiful little bulldog was no exception. I had been wanting for a Black Briar for a long time, and right when I was also thinking that I really needed a small light bulldog I met this brand new 3104. I really wanted it. When one day it became available at price that could not be refused, I had no further doubts and made it mine.
As usual I was sure it was going to be a fantastic smoker. In this case however my intention was to threat it with all the respect that her beauty deserved: I was going to smoke it only at home, not too frequently, maybe once per week, when the moment allowed handling it with all necessary care.
The former resulted to be very true. It is in my top ten, if not five, preferred pipes. The latter instead did not happened, in fact I liked it so much that it became very soon a frequent companion, by putting it in a pouch and taking it with me no matter where I had to go. It is still a great beautiful pipe though.

1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Glad to to see it being used as intended!
During this pandemic, I'm smoking less, but enjoying my more rare pieces.

When the desire for our “object of attraction” becomes unbearable and we finally manage to obtain it, our expectations can be high, very high. This is particularly true with pipe smoking, at least it was for me during a certain period of time. The next pipe was always going to be the best one, and usually I could not live without it.
This beautiful little bulldog was no exception. I had been wanting for a Black Briar for a long time, and right when I was also thinking that I really needed a small light bulldog I met this brand new 3104. I really wanted it. When one day it became available at price that could not be refused, I had no further doubts and made it mine.
As usual I was sure it was going to be a fantastic smoker. In this case however my intention was to threat it with all the respect that her beauty deserved: I was going to smoke it only at home, not too frequently, maybe once per week, when the moment allowed handling it with all necessary care.
The former resulted to be very true. It is in my top ten, if not five, preferred pipes. The latter instead did not happened, in fact I liked it so much that it became very soon a frequent companion, by putting it in a pouch and taking it with me no matter where I had to go. It is still a great beautiful pipe though.

Jun 23, 2019
Dunhill Rhodesian*
(Yup, I know... But If Dunhill classifies it as a Rhodesian, I won't disagree).
View attachment 31818

I have something very similar, and have been calling it a bulldog. Now I know how wrong I've been ? ?

9r8Aw0ml.jpg

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Just got my 3rd pipe today. I bought it because it was small and cheap. Realized that it was a good brand. Not sure what year is this but it has this pointy metal filter inside.
An original "inner tube" with its "flange"--one of Dunhill's famous patents (which expired around the end of the 1950s). Most people threw them out, so they've become fairly uncommon (and also offer a hint a pipe may have seen little use).

I happen to be an "inner tube" fan, myself. Before pipe cleaners became plentiful and cheap, it's said they were a big help to keeping a pipe clean (and still are in my book). And there are even a few who feel they can improve how a pipe smokes. A very nice find indeed.

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
An original "inner tube" with its "flange"--one of Dunhill's famous patents (which expired around the end of the 1950s). Most people threw them out, so they've become fairly uncommon (and also offer a hint a pipe may have seen little use).

I happen to be an "inner tube" fan, myself. Before pipe cleaners became plentiful and cheap, it's said they were a big help to keeping a pipe clean (and still are in my book). And there are even a few who feel they can improve how a pipe smokes. A very nice find indeed.

Im smokin it without the flange. Planning to put some balsa filter in it once my savs arrive. Not sure if it will fit though.

Thanks for the info. Now i know that its from the 50s era.