Show Off your ATF here, Minus the A [guns]

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

My sympathies, wish you had not experienced such a loss, what did you think of the m&p? My dog ate mine...RIP... But it was a Sig 1911 legend. Excellent, but heavy.
Thanks. Sorry about your Sig, that is one nice piece. The .45 Shield was the best all-around carry I had....light, accurate, reliable and easy to carry in the summer.

KingCob

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
Minnesota
This is not going to go down well here but I think to open a thread on 'show us your preferred killing device ' on a pipe smoking forum (allegedly an easy going pastime) during a world pandemic is in my opinion more than crass.

Come on guys, can't you think of a more uplifting or positive 'show us your.....' thread in these horrid times?

Regards,

Jay.?
I think your assumptions are a little strong but I think I understand what your trying to say. The imagery can set off alarms to some. Let’s talk about the peace pipe.

Reactions: Merton

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I think your assumptions are a little strong but I think I understand what your trying to say. The imagery can set off alarms to some. Let’s talk about the peace pipe.

Agreed about the strong assumptions... and pretty clearly the assumptions of someone who doesn't hunt, and probably doesn't otherwise own or shoot guns. Going in the woods alone before dawn to sit silently and observe nature, and if you're lucky, also to bag dinner, is a very relaxing and centering endeavor. I'm only an occasional hunter, but I've been out there enough to know this is true. Gun owners are not intrinsically maniacal seekers of violence and destruction.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Agreed about the strong assumptions... and pretty clearly the assumptions of someone who doesn't hunt, and probably doesn't otherwise own or shoot guns. Going in the woods alone before dawn to sit silently and observe nature, and if you're lucky, also to bag dinner, is a very relaxing and centering endeavor. I'm only an occasional hunter, but I've been out there enough to know this is true. Gun owners are not intrinsically maniacal seekers of violence and destruction.
I only kill paper and steel

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I only kill paper and steel

Fair enough. Same point applies - target shooting is more of a sport than it is a pursuit of destruction and violence. I also think that people who see guns as nothing but destructive killing devices have not spent much time around them. I understand that view, and it's not wrong per se, but once you've done a little shooting, that type of "scary gun bad" feeling dissipates pretty quickly, at least in the cases I've seen where non-gun people were introduced to shooting.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Fair enough. Same point applies - target shooting is more of a sport than it is a pursuit of destruction and violence. I also think that people who see guns as nothing but destructive killing devices have not spent much time around them. I understand that view, and it's not wrong per se, but once you've done a little shooting, that type of "scary gun bad" feeling dissipates pretty quickly, at least in the cases I've seen where non-gun people were introduced to shooting.
For sure. A lot of the time it causes excitement and they instantly become “Gun people”.

Target or skill shooting is a sport definitely. I also occasionally shoot IDPA which can be very entertaining and great practice. Last time I got “most accurate” with that P226. ?

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Think that was common for service pistols in that day, mixed receivers & slides, very cool piece, and has a good value. a relative has a service govt .45 Remington Rand lower on a Drake slide that was accurized in 1960. Has a wide trigger shoe, fantastic trigger, tight groups with 230g hardball.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I committed a big mistake selling almost all my six shooters, & semi A Pistols when they closed down shooting range nearby,but if funds allow someday I may considering applying for a gun collector license ,this involves quite a significant expenses, must got reinforced safes installed,thats categorical requirement ,yet apply fees are not a cheap either + collectible guns from WW2 era cost money too, better off buying pipes I guess,,

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Think that was common for service pistols in that day, mixed receivers & slides, very cool piece, and has a good value. a relative has a service govt .45 Remington Rand lower on a Drake slide that was accurized in 1960. Has a wide trigger shoe, fantastic trigger, tight groups with 230g hardball.
My father-n-law, before he passed had the .45 that his father carried ashore at Normandy as an Army medic. After he passed it, unfortunately, went to the New York relatives. Not gun people. I fear the poor beauty will be on a TV commercial in the future with Sarah Mclachlin singing in the background...

• Sad
Reactions: kurtbob

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
My father-n-law, before he passed had the .45 that his father carried ashore at Normandy as an Army medic. After he passed it, unfortunately, went to the New York relatives. Not gun people. I fear the poor beauty will be on a TV commercial in the future with Sarah Mclachlin singing in the background...

That's a hell of a piece of history. Too bad it ended up with the New Yahkas

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Springfield Range Officer Made in USA .45 with every part upgraded by me besides the barrel and frame/slide. It’s a goddamn tack driver.
View attachment 38096
View attachment 38097

Colt Delta Elite 10mm. This one I’ve only changed the mainspring housing and grips.
View attachment 38098
View attachment 38099
How do you like that Delta Elite? I want another 1911, in something other than .45 ACP (variety being the spice of life, and all that) but can’t decide if I want 9mm or 10mm.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
How do you like that Delta Elite? I want another 1911, in something other than .45 ACP (variety being the spice of life, and all that) but can’t decide if I want 9mm or 10mm.
I’d like to upgrade the sights because the GI sights are garbage.. trigger not bad but I’d like to work this one over too. Very reliable though, no failures. Had to replace (well in my mind) the mainspring housing as the factory colt are plastic which is cheesy. Ammo is very expensive is one down side. It’s not a gun you shoot all the time. If you want one to shoot a lot more for less $$ get a 9. But get a good one IMO. Also I’ve heard 9mm 1911s can be a bit more finicky.

lots of guys get 38 super but I know nothing about them. You’d probably have to reload

I’d really like to get a Les Baer someday.

Reactions: kurtbob
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’d like to upgrade the sights because the GI sights are garbage.. trigger not bad but I’d like to work this one over too. Very reliable though, no failures. Had to replace (well in my mind) the mainspring housing as the factory colt are plastic which is cheesy. Ammo is very expensive is one down side. It’s not a gun you shoot all the time. If you want one to shoot a lot more for less $$ get a 9. But get a good one IMO. Also I’ve heard 9mm 1911s can be a bit more finicky.

lots of guys get 38 super but I know nothing about them. You’d probably have to reload

I’d really like to get a Les Baer someday.
I reload anyway, so none of that is an issue. I was looking at Dan Wesson. I have a DW .45 commander and it is dead-nuts accurate with an excellent trigger. They have gone sky high in price since I picked that one up though. Almost up there with Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, etc. ?

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS