PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'm not that complicated. I do all of mine with Q-tips, pipe cleaners, alcohol, a strip of 320 grit sandpaper, a lighter, a wet paper towel, and toothpaste.
Huh.. I thought I was one of the only ones that used toothpaste. It's great for cleaning out airways, and works pretty dang good for polishing stems. I will actually chuck a toothpaste covered pipe cleaner into my cordless drill and sort of polish the airways on stems.
My setup is basically the same, but I also use Flitz from time to time on really oxidized vulcanite, and metal bands. All of this usually happens on a towel on my kitchen table.. which my darling wife tolerates in good humor.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It's how I put a mirror finish on stems after burning away the oxidation.

View attachment 165075
A lot of folks are afraid of the flame.. but can you imagine how much time you'd have to spend sanding on that stem to get it to the same point that a few minutes with a flame can get you? It was @theloniousmonkfish that turned me on to this method. I use a tea candle usually, but a lighter for oxidation that builds op from everyday smoking. I don't even care to say how much time I probably wasted micromeshing stems prior.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For those interested in the heat method, personally i like a candle because it’s a soft flame and less chance of damage from heat.

He's not getting full removal due to trying to work the entire stem and not wiping away the oxidation with a wet towel as it's burned. Surprised his video is up, youtube deleted mine for tobacco use.

This is mostly what I do but I don't use toothpaste instead of micromesh to make them shiny.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Restoration table, not a repair station. I leave the heavy-duty stuff to George! My setup which has evolved over the past 10 years.
Table came from an old Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant we took over.

1661609070985.png