PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
OK...I'm pleasantly surprised...I had one of my best Authors for sale in Chicago for $255...which I typically sell to guys on this forum for $235. A dealer in Chicago bought 3 pipes at wholesale and auctioned my Author on Ebay... and it sold for $308....I never thought EBay was a good route for pipe makers- I just changed my mind!....and did anyone on the Forum pick it up? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNSMOKED-ZACK-HAMRIC-MORTA-BOG-OAK-WIDE-CHUBBY-AUTHOR-American-Estate-Pipe-/401335866327?hash=item5d717b53d7%3Ag%3AtbQAAOSwYvFZKh%7E1&nma=true&si=V%252BL47ZrJXpbEpSdZQ%252FLwv5ipF34%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The problem with ebay is that it seems to be all about timing. I have seen some great pipes go for ridiculously low final bids and others are in the stratosphere because of a bidding "I win" war. But some of the veterans probably know better than I do...

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
There are SO many carvers now. I went the Chicago show and I was completely overwhelmed, and I am not used to being overwhelmed.
I think I'd give ebay a shot as long as your pictures are exceptional.
Good luck!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My opinion is leave eBay to the dogs. Just keep doing what you're doing. UNLESS you just do Buy It Now. Then you won't get hurt.

Oct 7, 2016
Seller has a following, but there is absolutely no reason why a pipe maker can't develop one with good service and pictures.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I'd buy one of your pipes. Always thought they were already spoken for or something as I've never seen them offered. Been to your website a few times too. Authors are popular... To me that auction price means it could have sold BIN for $345.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Always thought they were already spoken for or something as I've never seen them offered. Been to your website a few times too
It's a tough one- we have 3 businesses that really ring our bell and it's a challenge finding time for updating the website- I'll be doing that in the next few days with around 20 pipes...

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Ebay is the biggest marketplace of the world - period! Go for the BIN option and you even might want to choose the "make an offer" option too, so the tightpockets can have their discount. Good quality always sells, even on Ebay.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm a little slower than usual because we've been so busy with our day job, but I'm still making around 25 pipes a year....Hope to scale back on one of our businesses in the next year or so and start making more...

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I know you can't advertise your site zack24, but some body else can post it for us. I think. :idea: I found it but no pictures on the site.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beautiful pipe, and worth every bit of $308. But should you go for selling all your offered pipes fast or for top price? I don't use ebay because much digital tech gives me the hives, but the beauty of it is, you can move in and out of that market pretty quickly. Well, I can't, but anyone without a cyber disability can. So I'd sell a few pipes, one at a time, and observe carefully what you can do to end up ahead. The other aspect is dealing with the public and pay pal with fewer controls and even less accountability, so that's another part of the equation. I think your sales to Forums members are wise; it's a good cohort with many knowledgable people, so you built recognition, and that's worth taking a incremental lower price, at least in the short term. Do what encourages your beautiful work. Few or nobody is chasing a fortune with pipes, not even the $2K a pipe carvers. But you're turning some classics there, and deserve a good price.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This thread is unnecessary...
Zack, just put each month's workshop output into a case, hand it to Greta, say, "Go find some buyers for these, please," and sit back.
Twenty minutes ought to do it. A half hour, max.
After which she will rush in the front door with a big, wide-eyed smile, and say, "Honey, look at this!" holding bundles of hundreds and an empty case.
She will be forever mystified, of course, but that's OK. :lol:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I found it but no pictures on the site.
That's really weird- all the pictures disappeared! I'll just forced a reload and it works...Thanks for letting me know...
just put each month's workshop output into a case, hand it to Greta, say, "Go find some buyers for these
George, that's always been my strategy at pipe shows- Buy a pipe and get a free picture with Greta...

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Zack, eBay is weird this way, right? You can see an estate Peterson go for more than used, and I'm not talking about antiques or limited runs. Sellers credentials, good pictures, a little story go a long way on eBay. My estates go for more than my new prices on eBay through certain vendors, and it's flattering, but you have to think long term here. Yeah, you can jack your prices up. Every time you do, someone new will see you as "higher grade" than you were before, but you also cut the bottom end of your buyers out. The rarified air of the 500-1000 dollar pipe crowd is thin man - I've always said that Joe Sixpack buys a LOT of pipes. All depends on who you want to sell to, and how many of those people you think there are.
But it is bizarre and entertaining to watch a pipe you sold for 300 bucks go for 350 used. Whaddya do??

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Congrats on that sale. The exposure is a good thing.
Thanks! I have a couple of commissions I'm doing of that shape and it would have been a bit embarrassing to have a really lousy auction price...
The rarified air of the 500-1000 dollar pipe crowd is thin man
I thought Sasquatches liked rarified air?

Status
Not open for further replies.