PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I have this "International Selection" second that I won on ebay ages ago and don't really use.

I want a sort of nose warmer/ Devil Anse Hatfield sort of pipe and I am tempted to cut this off at the start of the bend, reshape a button, re-cut the rim to remove charring and re-stain a darker colour as I'm not keen on the yellowy shade of it. But I really don't wanna ruin it or make it unusable while chopping up the stem etc. Or spoil an ok pipe. There aren't too many zulus about. What do you think??

Cheers

Stuart

free photo upload

image hoster

image hoster

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Funnily enough thats about what the pipe is worth too, Mike.

I hear ya, thats exactly what I don't wanna do. But it doesn't smoke too great anyways.

By all means if anyone here can make me one for $30 sent to the UK, please do post up an offer!! I'm a tight sod ATM

with a holiday looming in a coupla weeks.

I have been browsing ebay but on this side of the pond there isn't quite the selection. Doubtless if I waited long enough there may be one pop up.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Have you ever cut a stem before? I would experiment on a less nicer pipe. That pipe has some great grain to it. Someone cut a new button on a stem this week and posted pics, but he was working with a pipe that had damage down near the flat end of the stem. If you shorten a stem as much as you are talking near the middle or at the bend then you are going to have to reshape the whole stem and I expect that it won't look right, not questioning your skills, but on the other hand if you don't smoke it, it might just develop into something you like. But I like Mike, am wincing at the idea of hacking on that beauty.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I see what you are saying Shain, and no I haven't done it before. But there has got to be a first time for everything!

I could always cut it less short and heat the bend out of it. The grain is nowhere near as nice in real life, the pictures make it look nice in the light.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
hmm ok, well be extra careful heating it and keep it constantly moving, not keeping the heat in one spot or you will scorch it. I speak from experience. If you decide to go for it and need any advice let me know. I hand cut stems from scratch.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I'm certainly tempted but I'm having another harder look on the bay.

It is a vulcanite stem so hopefully it would be quite easy to sort of file and bend etc. In theory. Advice is definitely something I would need!

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
The Zulu has lovely lines that would be changed by altering the stem. But, if you don't smoke it a it is, it might be better to have a usable pipe than one that lives on the rack. As others suggested, maybe get a different stem to practice on first?

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I think I might just think about it for a few days. I have a habit of having a bright idea, acting on it real quick and then doing something not as good as if I had held on and thought about it.

hmmm... Its not much use in a box in the cupboard mind!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I say go for it, what's the worst that can happen, you end up with a pipe you don't smoke, well you have that now. Go ahead and give it a try, you might end up with a treasure.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I like that attitude Philo. Tempting me to get out my hacksaw and hammer!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm not against modification, but +1 to roth. Although in my experience people who ask these questions have already made up their minds. You have to live with it; so go with your gut.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Hehe my gut is usually right. Plus now I wont be happy if i dont do it.

May 31, 2012
Here's a Chacom that's a dead ringer for a Devil Anse, pretty cheap too & just across the channel...
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/PIPE-DOCCASION-COLLECTION-VINTAGE-CHACOM-Sport-/221208465440?pt=FR_JG_Collections_Fumeur_Objets&hash=item33810d5020

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
So I did a little more than I intended last night, so It will probably finish today or tomorrow. At work now and I will grab one of my files to make the button. Started on it last night and it was going ok just sanding, but I think a file will be much easier. Now it is to length it does feel a little front heavy clenching, which I thought it might, and I may end up rounding the bowl to remove more wood. Haven't yet decided!

Status
Not open for further replies.