PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
In the spirit of procrastination, I have been working on a few estate pipes this morning instead of writing.

Currently, I have been cleaning up this GBD Prehistoric model 368/614L. I quite like it, reminds me of something my great grandad used to smoke. It has a killer sandblast, is a sitter and is meer lined...at for now.

Unfortunately, some damage had been done to the meerschaum lining, so I’m looking for advice on what to do?

Keep it as is as part of the story, or rip the rest of the lining out and essentially have an unsmoked briar pipe? A bit sacrilegious I know, but curious to know if anyone has done this...

Either way I’ll be keeping this one as a smoker, so don’t worry about any dodgy eBay listings.

On another note, I have attached a pic of the stinger in case anyone can use this to help more specifically date the pipe.

ChurA5C92EB0-D7EF-413A-ACDE-DBBD81382346.jpeg014E3CD5-C5D4-4D93-A888-92A77E87A65A.jpeg71EF2A82-75A1-4C8C-B4CD-8B9F95AC32DA.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tough call. I think I'd leave it in for starters, only because the bowl wall without the liner is pretty thin, and would accommodate a significant ember (hot) when the meer is pulled. Also, if the breakage is just at the top as shown, I think the briar would hold up okay, as the top of the ember and the top tobacco burns and cools first. If there is any cracking of the meer that reaches further down, that is a consideration. See how it smokes for a while. It may smoke fine as it is.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I'd remove it. It's damaged enough that smoking it as is will probably allow moisture and crud to find their way behind the remaining meer. If there's some damage under it you can always put some pipe mud in. Sweet looking pipe though.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
If it’s any consideration, the meer goes the whole way to the bottom of the bowl instead of just stopping before the draft hole. I’m assuming this means it is a cup insert rather than just a wall lining.

Reactions: anotherbob

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ok I am keen to try replacing the broken part of the lining then. Will have a closer inspection to see if the meer is broken further down into bowl too....so which way should we go folks? Pipe mud or plaster of Paris?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd be inclined to try the Plaster of Paris first,

Did you top the pipe? Or sand it? That rim is awfully clean for a pipe that's been used.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I'd be inclined to try the Plaster of Paris first,

Did you top the pipe? Or sand it? That rim is awfully clean for a pipe that's been used.
Sounds good, will give that a go.

I gave it a fine sand to remove the gunk and reference the buffed rims that some of these GBDs have. Normally I just like the contrast of the briar against the black finish, but I was excited to see nice grain on the rim.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Nice job! Was the meerschaum that white when you got it?

In any event, you're on the way to a fine restoration. Enjoy!

Nah it was covered in heavy cake. I wasn’t too sure whether it was meer lined or not, so gently cleaned back and lightly polished the top to check. It was only after doing this that I was able to see the extent of the damage to the lining as it was originally all held in place by the cake. After seeing bits just falling out, I committed to going back to white just to be able to see what was going on easier and then brainstorm for moving forward. (Hope this was the right call)

man I was gutted to see that the lining was damaged, but also secretly excited to try more than just a clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.