PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
s-l400 (1).jpgs-l400.jpg
From what I can tell from the other pictures I didn't see any cracks it looks like it's only been used at handful of times there's two days left on the auction 2 bid so far .99¢. The seller has a 100% positive approval on his profile.

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
I'm still new at auctions. I want to throw a good price but at the same time I don't want to cause I bid frenzy.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
That pipe has seen a lot of use, not that that's necessarily a deal breaker. I can't be sure from the quality of the photo you posted, but there's a line in the stem that makes me a bit nervous.
Img_2022_08_12_07_12_43~2.jpeg

That almost looks like a crack to me, either one that's forming or one that's been glued back together. Again, though, just a concern that I can't be sure about.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
That pipe has seen a lot of use, not that that's necessarily a deal breaker. I can't be sure from the quality of the photo you posted, but there's a line in the stem that makes me a bit nervous.
View attachment 162411

That almost looks like a crack to me, either one that's forming or one that's been glued back together. Again, though, just a concern that I can't be sure about.
Agreed. The union angle of stem to shank also supports a possible cracked stem and/or shank.

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
Yeah I was worried about that too when I took a second look at it. Here's what the description says about it.

This pipe has a long history of smoking pleasure, attested to by the deep coloration. But, it has suffered, too. The amber stem has been broken and repaired in a functional but not-professional fashion. Otherwise it’s in pretty good shape but it has served me well for many years and hopefully, its new owner will respect its tenacity and cool smoking characteristic. Still smokes great, despite injuries. The stem unscrews and lines up perfectly when attached. About the case: one hinge is broken but the latch works. It’s a bit scuffed but still in pretty good shape.

If I can keep at under $25 I think I would be happy.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Absolutely. The principal of going in with your eyes wide open applies here.

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
Well as much as I would like to have it. It not worth throwing all my money at it. Possessions are only temporary after all.

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
I've gone cheap on auction pipes before. I think a good principle is the one mentioned. Another is: how many good pipes can you buy before this one becomes clutter?

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Looks like a repaired crack in the amber stem. Buy it, and send it off to
BriarvilleLogoLLC-copy-color-edit-1.png
for a new stem... ? ??