Should I Care about this Drilling by Castello?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I need to update my profile. Good point! For the time being:

I am a Pacific Northwest guy. Raised and lived in the west and east side of Washington State. Did some summers working in Alaska for the fishing industry, outside talking with boat captains and crew about the fish they were bringing in to sell.

I lived three years in the Patagonia, Argentina. It's like "the Alaska" of Latin America, the final frontier, for sure.

Now I teach Spanish. I'm in Nashville, TN.

My favorite pipes are from northern Italy. I only really have straight apples. My favorite length to my straight apples are about 4 4/5in
Thank you! Great info. I'd love to visit Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego, but not for more than a week or so!
My son is dying to get to Nashville, and finally booked his flight yesterday. (Music drives him, not unusual for those coming to visit.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd echo sable'. If you are in love with the pipe otherwise, I think it will smoke fine, so it's not a problem. If it disappoints you in other ways, or if the drilling just offends your sense of craftsmanship, then push for a return. One of the reasons I like moderately priced pipes is that I can absorb little quirks in their manufacture and/or crafting. I haven't had a malfunction from those yet.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I need to update my profile. Good point! For the time being:

I am a Pacific Northwest guy. Raised and lived in the west and east side of Washington State. Did some summers working in Alaska for the fishing industry, outside talking with boat captains and crew about the fish they were bringing in to sell.

I lived three years in the Patagonia, Argentina. It's like "the Alaska" of Latin America, the final frontier, for sure.

Now I teach Spanish. I'm in Nashville, TN.

My favorite pipes are from northern Italy. I only really have straight apples. My favorite length to my straight apples are about 4 4/5in
Small world. I spent the summer of '65 working my butt off in a cannery near Naknek.... I'm still tired!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Making a counterfeit Castello is not beyond the talents of quite a few pipe makers. The key to making a "good" copy is in the details. Many of the techniques are on line and the tools are readily available. Having dies made is no problem. Fake Dunhills have been around for years, so why not fake Castellos. Even I could do it. Below are a couple of pipes I made. The thing is, mind are not marked "Castello".

Attachments

• inline (3) (Copy).jpg
    inline (3) (Copy).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 23
  • inline (7) (Copy).jpg
    inline (7) (Copy).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 23
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks, everyone, I'm in the process of negotiating keeping it on the condition that I get some money back. I'm not collecting it nearly as much as I'm smoking it.

If the partial refund is not very much, then I will be returning it.
I guess I don’t agree with this, not that it matters. It’s either good enough to keep. Or it isn’t.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Making a counterfeit Castello is not beyond the talents of quite a few pipe makers. The key to making a "good" copy is in the details. Many of the techniques are on line and the tools are readily available. Having dies made is no problem. Fake Dunhills have been around for years, so why not fake Castellos. Even I could do it. Below are a couple of pipes I made. The thing is, mind are not marked "Castello".
Second one is worthy of the bird in flight logo from earlier days. Very impressive!

Bivymack

Lurker
Sep 25, 2021
Tennessee
Nice catch. I learned little late to scrutinize my new pipes after smoking a Savinelli 673 with a stem that lines up crooked and an off center draught hole. Smokes fine but still, dammit. Tough to not have a local B&M to check pipes out in person.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
You have a point,also.and it could well be true.Very interesting thread.
Keep in mind that I haven’t handled that many Castellos. Maybe 20. And of the twenty, maybe 10 have been drilled perfectly.
My experience vastly varies from the guy who has purportedly handled hundreds and has never seen one drilled similarly to the OP.
Weird, ain’t it?

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Keep in mind that I haven’t handled that many Castellos. Maybe 20. And of the twenty, maybe 10 have been drilled perfectly.
My experience vastly varies from the guy who has purportedly handled hundreds and has never seen one drilled similarly to the OP.
Weird, ain’t it?
That was the first Castello I've seen like that,too.I'm sure very few end up like that.In the end,it's all up to the owner of the pipe.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Sorry, I stopped quite a while ago. Seems the factory made a deal with an American rep and instructed all their dealers not to sell at a discount to us "wildcat" dealers. Oh well, all good things come to an end. Also, I stopped dealing in pipes by mail order for personal reasons. I did open and manage my own pipe shop for a number of years and finally sold it and retired. Now I'm just another dedicated pipe smoker with time on my hands to play with forums....
That a can o worms right there. So tell us more about this shop. Some of us might have shopped there.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I like your buttons better than new Castello's!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy