PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Being sarcastic. I’m the first one to buy a nice high grade artisan pipe. I’ve spent more than enough money on my pipe collection, but god damn this is cray to me. Beautiful piece, but for a fairly new Chinese artisan seems pricey!
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/xu-hai/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=293464

P

pipebuddy

Pricey? More like waaaay overboard. I just don't get it. :crazy:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Honestly, how does a pipe fetch that price? I still don't reckon I'll ever understand. I understand that a name on some products has value, but for the life of me, what I can't quite grasp is how anyone ever gets to that price point.
With art, some things are strange concepts to me. Once saw an artist that took a urinal from a bathroom and called it art. Everyone sees art differently, because that's what we have to be talking about with this pipe. Unless it's a self-cleaning, self-loading, auto-adjusting bowl size, automatic smoker or something like that. Reading the description I almost get sick when I think that something like this might actually fetch that price from someone with the money to blow on it. Just makes no sense to me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was just eyeballing that 9k pipe and thought to myself why is this guy getting more than someone like Jess Chonowitsch. It is a beautiful pipe but 9k..... It will be interesting to see if it sells quickly or if it sits a while.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Someone just bought a '62 Ferrari for $48 million at an auction. Maybe that same person will buy that $10,000 pipe. If you got it, spend it. Unfortunately...I don't have it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a pretty pipe. Great marriage of the grain to the shape. To me, it's not $9000 worth of pipe, but to someone else it might just be their thing. To get into that price range there has to be much more than a pretty exterior. There needs to be something very special in the internals that elevates the pipe's performance well above the norm. And, the carver should have a world class track record of producing extraordinary pipes going back several decades, plus a long list of lunatics willing to pay that sum for one.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
That's interesting... when I click the link the pipe shows at $10,000 and not 9. Is there a difference between the price we see in Canada and the price you guys see from within the US?
Looking at his portfolio further down the page, all these pipes sold and a lot of them were priced at 5k!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
All he needs is one guy to think it is worth it. There is some psychology to high end marketing. Make the price high and someone stupid with money will think it is great just because of the high price. Most often, there needs to be something unique and very special about it, but not always.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Sable gets the "Bard's Bargain" discount.
10 G's would build a helluva cellar stock...
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.