PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SHPirate

Lurker
Nov 8, 2022
I know asking you guys if I should buy a pipe is like asking an alcoholic if I should drink another beer LOL, but I want your honest opinion on value and quality. I have the opportunity to purchase a Bari that looks exactly like this one and in similar condition for a little over $50. I really like this "tomahawk / pickaxe" look and style but from what I can tell the Bari pipes don't demand a very high price and are not very collectable. That being said, I'm not a hard core collector but I also don't have money to waste on overpaying for a pipe. Keep in mind that buying this pipe will diminish my small pipe buying budget for a good while LOL. What do you guys think???
1668534218452.png1668534261415.png

Reactions: Knowledgeseeker84

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About 40 years ago, I was gifted by my late wife's aunt with a brand new Bari bent billiard that I still have. It is a beautifully crafted Danish factory pipe and has weathered the storms of time ably. I say, buy the pipe, and hurry up.

SHPirate

Lurker
Nov 8, 2022
I would say if you have to ask, don't do it. Save your budget for something that you know immediately that you must have it.
I would normally agree with you but my reasoning for not buying is my lack of knowledge. I'm admittedly new to pipes and don't want to spend money on something that isn't worth the price. I'm relying on the wealth of knowledge from the good people of this site to steer me in the right direction.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I would normally agree with you but my reasoning for not buying is my lack of knowledge. I'm admittedly new to pipes and don't want to spend money on something that isn't worth the price. I'm relying on the wealth of knowledge form the good people of this site to steer me in the right direction.

Worth is relative and subjective. If you feel this pipe would give you pleasure and enjoyment, then it might be a worthwhile purchase—only you will be able to determine that.

That said, in my many years of book collecting, my only regrets were the ones I didn't buy. I was always able to forgive myself for the ones I did get, even if I paid a bit too much. The ones that got away still sting.

SHPirate

Lurker
Nov 8, 2022
$50 is dirt cheap, barely the price of a tank of gas. If you like the pipe, you'd better buy it. At that price, it won't stay on the shelf long.
If you are afraid that $50 for a pipe might be "over paying," what other pipes are out there worth a flip for less?
This is a valid point! I'm definitely leaning toward purchasing the pipe LOL.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
secret pipes don't have a solid formula for worth. Generally most pipes will smoke decently and excellently once you've gotten more practice at smoking. A lot of it is a combination of factors. How it looks, what standard the maker has for quality (which is often very subjective.). At the end of the day if you smoke that pipe 50 times at $50 that ends up costing you one dollar per smoke.

Reactions: edger and SHPirate

SHPirate

Lurker
Nov 8, 2022
I think you should make up your own mind so you can't blame the responding members if their advice proves to be wrong. I'm not going to offer an opinion as I have none. It's your decision to make.
I'm not looking to place blame (what an idiotic statement). Of course it's ultimately my decision, I'm the one spending the money. However, I'm new to pipes and just want opinions from those that have more experience than I. Isn't gaining knowledge and sharing experiences with people that have common interests (pipes) what sites like this are all about??? I've noticed from some of your other posts that you have very little positive to offer and mostly just post grumpy judgmental crap. I never have understood why some people feel the need to make posts that offer nothing. Why is it that some feel so comfortable being disrespectful behind a keyboard knowing full well they wouldn't behave this way face to face with others??? What is the goal???

SHPirate

Lurker
Nov 8, 2022
In my opinion it isn't a great looking pipe and I know nothing about Bari pipes. If it were me, I would keep looking and save more money for something nicer.
I can understand that. Like so many things, everyone has a different perception of what is pleasing to the eye. For some reason I'm drawn to "pickaxe" style pipes. I just couldn't find much about Bari and their quality.