PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Beeb

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
Hello from Sweden:)!

I need a new pipelighter. I only smoke outdoors and use a zippo with a pipe insert, but i want a lighter with no fueltaste when the wind allows. Im looking at the Corona Pipemaster, whats your opinion?
One thing that i dont get is if you need a flint for it? Some say you do, and others that you dont?

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Of the three I have one works pretty well, usually lighting up every time, the other is 50/50 and sometimes worse. And its been that way since almost new, so I'm not sure why. I have also picked up another one used that immediately failed on me and needs sent in for repair.

I think the Pipemaster looks and feels great, but I'm not so sure the internal materials are as good as they used to be (or claim to be). At least, I'm suspicious. I definitely started out very happy with them, but over time the shine has worn off. They also aren't great in any wind unless you have them set on nuclear.

I recently found a vintage Zippo I like and I think I'm looking for one of those butane inserts for it myself. Maybe thats another option to consider.

Beeb

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
Of the three I have one works pretty well, usually lighting up every time, the other is 50/50 and sometimes worse. And its been that way since almost new, so I'm not sure why. I have also picked up another one used that immediately failed on me and needs sent in for repair.

I think the Pipemaster looks and feels great, but I'm not so sure the internal materials are as good as they used to be (or claim to be). At least, I'm suspicious. I definitely started out very happy with them, but over time the shine has worn off. They also aren't great in any wind unless you have them set on nuclear.

I recently found a vintage Zippo I like and I think I'm looking for one of those butane inserts for it myself. Maybe thats another option to consider.
I bought a butane insert for my zippo, but i did not fit in my original zippo case, so it was probably my worst buy ever;) anyone got a good insert to recommend? That can stand a little bit of wind?

Reactions: BROBS and coyja
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have 2 Pipemasters and 2 Kiribi. If you use the high altitude Butane in the Pipemaster, it works pretty decent. Mine are probably around 2 years old. If i buy another pipe lighter, it would probably be a 3rd Kiribi. Great value for the money, I'm okay with replacing the occasional flint. The Pipemaster uses a piezo electric crystal for the spark, no flint.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Well, this is a coincidence. I have a Pipemaster that recently stopped working. Any advice regarding repair? Much appreciated.

Beeb

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
I have 2 Pipemasters and 2 Kiribi. If you use the high altitude Butane in the Pipemaster, it works pretty decent. Mine are probably around 2 years old. If i buy another pipe lighter, it would probably be a 3rd Kiribi. Great value for the money, I'm okay with replacing the occasional flint. The Pipemaster uses a piezo electric crystal for the spark, no flint.
I dont realy like the flint models for outside use, i think its a pain having to relight with the flint!?

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
My Pipemaster is about 20 years old and works beautifully. There is something very natural about its shape and flame angle that just works for pipes. I use it more often than the Old Boy.

Mine uses the Piezo spark, without flint.

Piezo Ignitor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
2nd on the kiribi. Mine has performed faithfully for about 2 years now and I have 0 complaints. It's not very good in the wind though.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I bought a butane insert for my zippo, but i did not fit in my original zippo case, so it was probably my worst buy ever;) anyone got a good insert to recommend? That can stand a little bit of wind?
You have to use a razor blade and cut off the plastic ribs on the butane insert.

Beeb

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
2nd on the kiribi. Mine has performed faithfully for about 2 years now and I have 0 complaints. It's not very good in the wind though.
Ok, i guess the kirby you are talking about is the old boy style? Like the one from IM Corona? am i the only one who prefer ”piezo spark” outside for easy relight?

J.Henry845

Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Personally I can't see spending money on a fancy lighter to use as a tool to produce a flame. I had an Old Boy that worked great that was unfortunately lost a few years back. Matches, Bic, and Zippo are all I use now and work just fine. From my experience I would recommend a flint over the piezo system which seems to have a tendency for inconsistentcy from my experience. Just my 2 cents.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
The piezo ignition & plastic frame make these a waste of a brass tank, imho.
IMC Pipemaster.jpeg
(Not my pic or lighter, but I doubt it ever made it out of that coffee cup.)
:coffee:

Beeb

Lurker
Mar 8, 2021
any one that got a pipe master and old boy that knows witch one work best for smoking outside?

Reactions: BROBS