PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
The sound of a pump shotgun is sometimes enough to deter an intruder. Your choices are both good.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
"Nothing in the world sounds quite like a 12 gauge being racked". Were I a bad guy intruding into a darkened house and hearing that, you could likely follow the brown trail I would leave getting out of there! I know there are those who say that racking a shotgun gives the bad guy an idea of where you are, but I don't think your average perp would be capable of keeping his wits, or other bodily functions, intact in that situation.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
forget the 12ga and get a 20ga your target won't know the difference. forget the pistol grip. I perfer the Mossbery because of the tang safety. I have this one with the 18.5 barrel. Weighs in at 5#. I have added a rail/light and sling.
500 Super Bantam

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
The Mossberg has a steel bolt, like the 870. The receiver is alloy, but this isn't an issue with durability since the bolt locks to the barrel and the pressure is contained there. I shot thousands of rounds through mine and it was just as tight as the day I bought it. The problem is that alloy is lighter and thus doesn't dampen recoil as much. This probably isn't an issue and I could never tell a difference. The Mossberg has also proven plenty durable in military service and testing. Regardless, both are great guns. I still choose a rifle. :D

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I think the Mossberg versus Remington is personal preference. Both are top notch inexpensive can't stop 'em tools. Pick the one you like the best, or get the best deal on and you can't go wrong.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
Rem 870 out of the box, just hearing the sound of a round being racked would make me wet my pants.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Can I change from a pistol grip to standard and back and forth? One of the ways I've used firearms in the past is to experiment with things, change them up but really gravitate towards something I like based upon extended time with it. In this case, I would try a pistol grip (I know there are lots of cons with this) but swap it out for a traditional. I could sell the pistol grip if I dont end up using it.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Man I am glad we can have this topic and discussion with out a political debate. Refreshing.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
^^ Right on loco. This has been a great discussion to follow. I enjoy reading when a gun thread pops up here on PM. Some of you I know as gun enthusiasts/pipers but I'm always impressed and surprised how many of us do share interest in responsible firearm use be it recreation, HD or whatever.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Man I am glad we can have this topic and discussion with out a political debate. Refreshing.
Agree 100%. I love passion but hate when people attack one another over differences. We have enough of that in the popular press. This has been incredibly helpful to me. I really appreciate everyone's input.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I hope you didnt take my comment as me saying THIS thread contained those things. It was not. I was referring to many other threads (here and elsewhere) when people seem to attack one another over differences. Thankfully, that hasnt happened on this thread and doesnt happen much on PM.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Agreed we have a lot of firearm enthusiasts on here! Also military and techs, it seems.
I would agree with both the 870 and 500 being excellent choices, and it would come down to feel or the better deal.
As an aside, have you considered the Kel-Tec KSG? 14+1 of bullpup downwards-ejecting Picatinney-equipped pump 2¾" 12ga slugs or buck ain't bad. The price is good, it's ambidextrous, shoots 3" shells (albeit with less capacity), slugs, even less-than-lethal if that's what you're into. With the center of gravity near the grip, it has less muzzle flip than a conventional pump because the recoil goes straight back. A downside would be you're not used to reloading tubes on a bullpup with your off hand, but with two 7-round tubes the springs can be lighter and you can put buck in one and slugs in the other if you want.
18½" barrel to keep from paying the Feds more taxes, but the bullpup design means the whole thing is only 26" long. Kel-Tec has been a pretty innovative company, with their little .32 and .380 (now copied by most everyone), the 19oz (loaded!) 31-shot .22 Mag pistol and their .308 threaded muzzle bullpup rifle.
PS Zo, I know I didn't have anything concrete on why the Mossie or Remmie is better; mainly I didn't want to pass up another gun thread! [guiltily hangs head]

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I'm just glad to be among gentlemen who can handle topics such as this.
This topic would have erupted into chaos on another forum I am a member of. And the results are never good.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
As an aside, have you considered the Kel-Tec KSG? 14+1 of bullpup downwards-ejecting Picatinney-equipped pump 2¾" 12ga slugs or buck ain't bad. The price is good, it's ambidextrous, shoots 3" shells (albeit with less capacity), slugs, even less-than-lethal if that's what you're into. With the center of gravity near the grip, it has less muzzle flip than a conventional pump because the recoil goes straight back. A downside would be you're not used to reloading tubes on a bullpup with your off hand, but with two 7-round tubes the springs can be lighter and you can put buck in one and slugs in the other if you want.
the odds of finding one of those are slim to very slim.. and if you do you won't light the price tag. if anyone needs more then 6 rounds in a home defense shotgun they are already screwed.
msrp is $1200 at gun shows there are reports of $1400 offers being turned down.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Zonomo you can have an interchangable stock! Check out Mossbergs new flex system. It allows you to change out between a rifle stock, pistol grip, or pistol grip with stock without any tools and I think all the guns with the flex system come with all three stocks.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've had an 870 for probably 25 years and never had an issue with it. Been hunting everything you can think of with it when I'm not using my 20 gauge o/u Franchi. Breaks down in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.