PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Here are a few pics of a short stem billiard I've been working on and just completed.

1.8oz 51 gr About a Dunhill group 6 size. There are no scratches on the inside of the bowl - just the grain from the inside out. I drill all my pipes for a wide open draw.

A comment about my stamping. I need to purchase one. They are expensive.

Anyway, as per usual: here is a link to the pipe makers forum for their comments etc.
http://pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12047
5xJ80tG.jpg

YGGc24E.jpg

MhDWsGD.jpg

v2YXqdp.jpg

hW3rPCm.jpg

CJC0LNZ.jpg

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Great work. I'm on my 3rd DIY pipe. I've got a long way to go to get to your level!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
d750, I'm just a hobbyist but if you want the real scoop from the professionals who will help you out; go here:

www.pipemakersforum.com
Read, read, read.
These guys will guide you through pretty much anything you want to do/make/attempt with your pipe projects.
Sometimes it may feel like they are cutting your heart out with a rusty spoon but that's how you learn.
Don't worry; it only hurts until the next time. lol(y)

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
I've been a member there for over a month. Lots of great info there but the guys they call the 'old guard' seem to enjoy being rude and snooty to beginners and new members. They are the pipe making masters, according to them, but I've pretty much had enough of them. I have not encountered that sort of condescension at any other site involved in high end pursuits. Not sure what the deal is. But it only takes a few to ruin a forum/website.

There are some who seem to fit in well after a while, so maybe its just me.

There was a thread there wondering why there is so little activity on the forum. They don't have a clue.

But I think they like it that way anyway. I'll continue to read there but I'm pretty much done with posting.

And for the record, they weren't particularly rude to me. I just didn't like how they were treating other folks.

George

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I was going to join up over there a few months ago but after reading the new members section that basically said nicely "Hey some people here are assholes but they are always right" I decided not to. If you trying to make pipe making a legitimate buisness then of course you need some harsh criticism and tired and true techniques. But for me doing it as a hobby just for myself and maybe as some gifts to friends down the road it didn't seem like the place for me.

Also very good job on that pipe. It looks awesome.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I've been a member there for over a month. Lots of great info there but the guys they call the 'old guard' seem to enjoy being rude and snooty to beginners and new members. They are the pipe making masters, according to them, but I've pretty much had enough of them. I have not encountered that sort of condescension at any other site involved in high end pursuits. Not sure what the deal is. But it only takes a few to ruin a forum/website.

There are some who seem to fit in well after a while, so maybe its just me.

There was a thread there wondering why there is so little activity on the forum. They don't have a clue.

But I think they like it that way anyway. I'll continue to read there but I'm pretty much done with posting.

And for the record, they weren't particularly rude to me. I just didn't like how they were treating other folks.

George

Whoever the old guard is there, and it might be me now, but it's been the same attitude for 20 years, and the that is, if you (not just you George but anyone) show up and ask me a million questions without trying anything yourself, I'm not going to answer, because it's a waste of my time and yours. Likewise, if you show up and bring something you have tried, and attempt to get help with some specific thing, you'll be helped. Sometimes to death - there are answers which a new pipe maker can't even really understand in some instances. There isn't really "snootiness" - what's in it for me? But when someone shows up and says "Here's my masterpiece" and you say "Hey that's cool, too bad about these sanding scratches." and the person loses their mind, you get a little less benevolent. Rinse and repeat. But the people there who bother to answer questions, and right now that's LL, myself, Sandahl, sometimes Ryan Alden, sometimes Scottie Piersel, Kurt Huhn, if you really fuck up Trever Talbert will show up just for fun..... we've been through this process, made the same mistakes, we know how hard it is, so there's no snobbery involved. It's intimidating for a new pipe maker, we realize that. But you can get coddling from boards like this, from facebook, from your grandmother, your friends, all of whom will tell you "Wow, you are SOOO amazing at making pipes." and the truth is, to them, you are, but to the pipe collecting world, the world of hand made pipes, you are a rank amateur and it shows, and until a guy accepts that, accepts that he's not the Einstein of pipes, very little progress will be made.

The next post after yours George is quite accurate: PMF is is pipe maker university. We might be assholes, but we know what we are talking about and you can't get that hardly anywhere else. It's NOT worth it for some guys, it's not worth it for the hobbiest who is going to make 10 pipes in his life. He can do whatever he wants, it's cool, no one cares or should. But if you want to make money at pipes, if you want to learn to make really good pipes, genuinely good pipes that guys who know about pipes want to buy.... then you need to run that gauntlet, have the same conversations we all had when we started. I spent 5 fucking years learning to make a halfway ordinary pipe. Slow learner! Now I make that same pipe about twice a week cuz it turns out I have no real artistic drive. But it's a damn good pipe now because I got a lot of help along the way.

Where a guy goes with pipe making is his own business. But PMF exists for one reason and it's to talk real serious talk about high grade pipe making, in the Danish (and now American) tradition.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
PS if you notice in the one thread at PMF, the other George, that being LatakiaLover, picked out a slight imperfection in a stem on a pipe I had posted for utterly other reasons - the grain of plataeu one. And he was dead right, that stem needed a little more work to be "right". Doesn't make the pipe a dead loss, but there was a way for that pipe to be "better". Understanding that, understanding the objective "rightness" of any given piece, takes a long time, and it feels at first like "Who the hell is THIS guy to tell me what MY art should be like??" except that every pipe maker (and collector) will also find the same flaws - there are objective standards to find, and we all find the same ones, mostly. It takes time to develop the eye, time to cogitate about the golden ratio, and curves and lines and proportions etc etc etc. It's a big jump from "Wow you're amazing!" to "Wow that's pretty ugly, and here's why." Lots of people can't bring themselves to make it, it is a rough go. But it's not personal and it's not some secret club initiation. There's no joy here for the old guard, no licking of chops as we instruct. The joy for us is watching someone get better. Go look at DocAitch's early posts. 3 years I think he's been talking with us. He's one of us, not because he's so amazingly skilled, but because his attitude is just so.

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Sasquatch, I appreciate your reply here and I appreciate the help you have given me over at PMF.

The problem is that there seems to be an assumption that because you're good at something or even famous for it that it is okay to be an "asshole" and that someone needs to run a "gauntlet" for you. And you're right, PMF is a concentrated forum of information and expertise that you can't bet anywhere else.....but again, there is nothing about that that requires running a gauntlet or even being immediately lumped into the category of coddled pansies who can't take a little criticism. There just isn't any excuse for it. No matter how good you are.

And here's the thing, I don't find this sort of attitude anywhere else. I'm a fairly accomplished amateur black and white photographer and print maker. Don't assume for a second that this field is any less demanding than pipe making or that there isn't a similar if not more demanding collectors market and standard of critique. And yet, I can go to forums and sites populated by professionals in the field, some of them famous, and they are almost uniformly cordial, helpful and thoughtful. They will give you a critique that is appropriate to your level and that will build upon the skills you currently have. There is no reason that can't exist at PMF.

The reasons why that sort of thing doesn't exist at PMF could be many. First, there may be no real interest in encouraging and helping new makers in a friendly and meaningful way. And that's fine. The other reason could be that a good many of the folks there are simply "assholes". The world is full of smart accomplished and highly skilled "assholes".

But that does not make it okay to be one. Yet, at PMF its like there is a contest to see who can be the biggest one and the worst of it is directed at new members and makers.

And as in the post above, PMF's reputation precedes it.

And don't get me wrong, if you guys want to have a forum populated by a few crusty old pipe makers who enjoy out crumudeoning each other, well, that's your business and more power to you. But to wonder why there is little activity there and people think you are jerks shows a bit of insight impairment.

Finally, the other folks at PMF like to excuse the bad behavior based on their accomplishments and expect folks to be okay with it. At the same time every new maker is presumed to be a whining millenial begging for affirmation. I don't mean this to sound like chest thumping, but I'm a 56 year old physician. I've been through parts of med school and residency which are as near to the old notion of apprenticeship as it gets these days, I'm a high performance driving instructor, I've built my own log cabin and gotten fairly good at B&W photography. All of which is to say that if I am expected to put up with condescending "assholes" because of their expertise then it is only fair for said "assholes" not to assume every new maker is a 19 year old who just drilled a hole in a piece of wood for the first time as his life's crowning achievement. I don't deserve to be treated that way....heck, neither does the 19 year old who drilled his first hole.........

George

Last edited:
Reactions: Stickmaker1958

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Yes, I saw that post. George (LL) knows his stuff. What really finally pushed me away from PMF was a new member who made a nice looking freehand pipe and asked for criticism. It was suggested indirectly that it was crap. He wanted some specifics and asked for them. He got the typical response of "go away, do some reading, any criticism we might give would be over your head and hurt your feelings". And he still asked for some specifics at which time he was belittled by George. Just no need for that kind of crap. None. I spoke my mind and haven't been back. The member concerned seems more inclined to assuage the pipe gods but he even suggested that folks were being, well, your word fits best, "assholes".

I'll continue to use PMF as a reference but otherwise I'm done there and likely wouldn't get any more help since I dared to question the 'old guard's' methods of belittling new members.

George

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Well, it's up to you. I've never seen someone ask for specifics and be belittled, really (would be interested to see the thread in question EDIT nm I see it), but I have seen people reject advice and criticism with "Well, I MEANT it to be like that" 100 times.

No one is running a gauntlet "for me". This isn't for me. It USED to be for me, when I was running the gauntlet. (I am, as it were, returning a favor to the community) And the gauntlet is comprised simply of making pipes over and over again, having your friends tell you they are amazing, and having real pipe makers tell you, quite correctly, what isn't so good about them, and why. There is no other way to learn this stuff. I realized at some point that if I made the changes to my precious art, the changes that these assholes suggested I make.... the pipes sold. Magic. They knew something I didn't, and I had to learn it, and as I say, there's only 1 way. Are there days where maybe a guy shouldn't log on if he's feeling grouchy? Maybe, yeah. But we're people too, we have bad days sometimes. Shouldn't take it out on the apprentice but I suppose it could happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Sasquatch, I'm not questioning the expertise of the folks at PMF when it comes to making high end pipes. That has never been my point.

I'm also not doubting that there are lots of folks who can't take any criticism.

What I am saying is that expertise is not license to be a jerk and that just because there are snowflakes out there doesn't mean everyone should be treated like one. And in stark contrast to PMF there are craft/art forums out there with members at the highest levels of achievement who treat beginners with respect and do not assume that they are delicate self-important flowers until they show themselves as such

I'm also trying to point out that there is an art to criticism that goes beyond pointing out what is wrong or even how to correct it. For it to rise to that level it has to be intended to encourage rather than discourage and it has to take into account where someone is in the process of learning and what their intent is. It really isn't all that hard but those principles seem to be rejected at PMF. It seems that the sole focus is what sells. That's not a problem if the intent of every pipe maker is to sell pipes to high end fetishists that many high end pipe makers cater to.

But as in many pursuits, there is a level of attainment that can be achieved without it being a professional pursuit and that is what a lot if not most new makers seem to be aiming at. And I don't think that necessarily implies a lower level of quality it just implies a different goal. I find that in the hobbies I'm passionate about (cooking, photography, racing) I have no desire whatsoever to be paid for my work. It just adds a whole level of burden that takes the joy out of the hobby. And I know amateurs and hobbyists in any number of pursuits who do better work than many pros in the same field. When an amateur is unburdened by the demands of clients, yes, he can always claim that a perceived flaw was how he intended it. And that limits the value of how a critique can help him but that's his problem. And, such a claim isn't necessarily invalid from an artistic standpoint. And really, if someone says "I intended those tool marks to be there" how hard is it to say "then you got what you intended but that would be frowned upon on the high end market and if you want to make a pipe without them here is a good way to do it"?

Finally, in most hobbies there seems to be an inclination to bring people on board and grow the hobby. PMF may not have the inclination at all. And that's fine. But as a forum it isn't going to get more active given its current climate. And that's a shame because it has the potential to bring more people on board and to make them better. Not just the few who are willing to play the game but a lot more among which there could be more great pipe makers. And again, I'm not really rankled by how I've been treated there. It is a bit cold but I can live with that. I just don't want to hand out somewhere, regardless of its value, the treats people unkindly for no good reason.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.